1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Scotland 1881 search fault

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by peter, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Oh, I didn't realise it meant to right click on a link. Silly me :rolleyes:

2. I wasn't referring to procured documents such as birth certs, I keep those but anything I find online gets downloaded as a jpg.

3. I can't find an instance right now but there was something you said which made me read between the lines, it made me think that you thought it was best not to use it for loading into LC.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Not at all, it's a matter of personal preference - entries should be checked whether they're entered manually or by FTA, and I think most FTA users understand this. If this information isn't in the document you referred to, perhaps it could be added?

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I download it in whatever format it's provided, which means that I have a mixture of jpg, tif, gif, png, pdf, djvu etc files - and that's just for images. But most of the information I collected in the early years is on paper (and much of it has yet to be scanned in) so I file away any printouts - you never know when they're going to come in useful.

Similarly I buy paper copies of non-fiction books (but electronic copies of novels).

6. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

This is an issue with any paper records not only family history. Well loved recipes, photos, autograph albums (remember them?), and so on. And I wonder what will happen to my collection of daffodil-themed china which I have collected for many years...
    My children and grandchildren live such busy, contained lives that I doubt they have the space to store any memorabelia even if they were interested.

7. I hate this expression but I hear you loud and clear Marjorie. Having been involved in clearing out two households about 10 and 12 years ago and seen the amount of 'rubbish' made me more aware of what may happen to my own things.
    I have a bookcase full of photo albums which contain mostly scenic and sightseeing photos, there must be thousands of them. Who is going to look through them and pull out family photos??
    In view of that, I have created separate albums of photos, ranging from sepia to black and white to colour of various sizes and covering a period of about 80 years (possibly 100, not entirely sure without checking). All of them are family photos and I have made sure they are all labelled in one way or another. Anybody looking at them will know for certain that I intend for them to be preserved, as there is a 'letter of instruction' inside the front cover.
    I have stopped printing photos and keep them in my computer.

I don't know what will happen to knickknacks I have kept as keepsakes, they are such things as gifts from my deceased uncles and aunts, bits and pieces I got from my mother's estate which in turn includes things she got from her mother. And, a collection of miniature Swarovski crystal animals.

My will covers some of 'who gets what' but it's not possible to cover a whole house full of 'stuff'.

8. I've checked, there is a recommendation to check each household using the little arrow.

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

What to do with "stuff" when one dies is a constant worry for my wife, less so for me because her own memorabilia (glass ware, bric-a-brac and figurines mainly) I shall just leave my daughter or sister and especially my wife's niece to sort out for me and the same with her clothes. But if as she fears - and likely will be the case, I go first - she often tells me it will take a month to sort out your office, never mind the shed and garage. And she is probably right. She will however be at home sorting out family photos and more so than me because those of significance to me are saved to my computers and within Tribal Pages. (I will come on to computers later).

I have enough 'wires' (for which read boxes of computer hardware, cables, audio wires - too numerous for even me to catalogue - never mind electrical bits and pieces) - plus boxes of sheet music and albums from long ago piano playing days. Then there is genealogical paper stuff, some labelled, some sorted by family line, but most just loose sheets which -take your pick - would take 2 days to incinerate and probably spread over 4 fortnightly 'paper/cardboard' bin collections. Who would want them? Even vaguely interested in continuing the family line will have USB sticks with my Tribal Pages professionally saved on them, to provide all the answers to questions they might add. Then we come to the Garage and Shed for tools of every description, and here my son in law will come into his own, and likely discard 75% as antiquated or perhaps sell them off in a Boot fair or via eBay.

But strangely enough my wife's biggest worry on my demise is what to do with my computers and tablets (no not my pills). There is a file in the front of my filing cabinet (full to capacity) with a 'What to do in the event of my death' file (dealing with the bank, life insurances, other insurance, and routine household stuff and where to find stuff in the filing cabinet). But most important of all is the sheet labelled 'How to switch on my computers' and no amount of pre-instruction has ever worked. I currently have 5 devices in active use - two PC's and 3 laptops (two multi screened) - plus 3 tablets, a Kindle and 2 spare laptops. I simply tell her to get my daughter and her daughter (our granddaughter who is tech savvy) to help her out and just keep the latest laptop. I am sure there will be family takers for the surplus items.

I have only touched on the fringe of things that worry my wife 'super mortem meam' (upon my death) and the moral of the story is that things I take for granted and have little or no worries over using, or just knowing they exist if needed, can be an absolute nightmare for her. The sad thing is no one wants to discuss death, least of all mine or even their own. So, some things will just have to sort themselves out and family are aware my wife will need help. At least our 'mirror' Wills will take care of the financial side of things, which is really what matters most.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2022
  10. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I think what you were thinking of was in post #38. Following your comment that you hadn't added anything using FTA for ages because it took too long to check, Peter replied "The answer is surely to enter your relatives manually, as most other members do?" I think this was a comment on how you can avoid the checking burden of large numbers of simultaneous entries, not saying that you shouldn't use FTA.

I have used FTA for entering censuses where I've built up a backlog, but generally find it easiest to enter them manually as I go along.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1