1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Coronavirus Corner - a place to share your hopes, dreams, and frustrations.
  5. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

Saving on heating bills

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Sep 30, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

How low is low - what target humidity did you program into the dehumidifier? Since it was never reached, presumably it ran constantly.

Were you able to objectively compare the results of the two methods, for example did you take regular readings with a hygrometer? Or is it more a case of neither approach did what you wanted, but based on your experience your preference is for the window method?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Peter, we were living our lives, not conducting a scientific experiment. I did say right at the start of this discussion that I was talking about my own experience - other people's experiences may well be different.

Very few of the choices we make in our daily lives are based on life or death scenarios, and science doesn't always give us definitive answers as it can't always take account of individual circumstances or individual perceptions of quality of life. So, many of our choices are based largely on personal experience and preferences, and inevitably that means different people will reach different conclusions. That doesn't make one person right and another wrong, nor should we have to justify our choices to anyone but ourselves.

If I had to choose between what I consider the largely intolerable noise of a dehumidifier along with never opening the windows for fresh air, versus an additional £2* a week (say) on heating costs, the latter would win hands down every time. Maybe I am lucky in being able to choose quality of life over worrying about every last penny.

* I have plucked this figure out of the air, and considering our total heating costs last winter, it is probably pessimistically high; it also doesn't take into account the costs that would be involved in purchasing and running a dehumidifier.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Pauline, thanks for the clarification. You're right, you don't have to justify your personal preferences, but it's helpful to know what the basis is for comments as this might affect other people's decisions.

Hopefully none of us has to worry over every last penny, but the saying 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves' has, inflation and decimalisation notwithstanding, still got the ring of truth. We all weigh up the pros and cons and reach what is (hopefully) the right decision for us, and the more reliable information we have the more likely we are to be right.

As I get older I am better able to chart my financial course through to the inevitable end point, and this makes it easier to decide whether I can justify spending a bit more on something. I now prioritise convenience and timesaving more than I did when I was younger, so if I lived somewhere which was damp because of poor construction I'd either rectify the problem once and for all, or use a dehumidifier. Opening windows for long periods and experiencing draughts of cold air appealed to me when I was younger - for the first 50 years of my life I couldn't sleep unless my bedroom window was open - but now it neither appeals nor makes financial sense.