1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Samuel Wallis of Deptford, Kent

Discussion in 'Kent' started by Pauline, May 8, 2014.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have recently obtained the will of a Thomas DAVIS of Sherston Magna (Wilts), written 1723 and proved 1726; Thomas was baptised in Sherston in 1656.

In the will, Thomas Davis mentions the children of an unnamed daughter of his brother John, the daughter having married Samuel WALLIS of Deptford, Kent. (The will specifically says Deptford, Kent which I presume is to differentiate it from Deptford, Wilts.)

I am finding it difficult to get any further with Samuel Wallis or the unnamed daughter of John Davis that he married. I can't pin down John Davis in Wiltshire with any certainty, nor can I find a marriage of a Davis female to a Samuel Wallis.

The London Lives website has a reference to a Samuel Wallis s of Samuel of Deptford Carpenter being apprenticed into the Carpenters' Company in 1718, and I suspect this relates, but I cannot find any further information on this, such as in the London Freedom admissions.

In one sense, being a little detached from my main tree, this is not that important, but I have later Wallis connections not too far from Deptford in completely different branch of my ancestry and am intrigued to know if there may be a connection.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!