1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Royal Navy Documentation

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by jorghes, Jul 28, 2017.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

My grandfather served in the Royal Navy and we have a copy of his S1246s form, which while it doesn't list his vital statistics as it were, it is entitled "History Sheet for Air Mechanics (A), (E), (O), & (L)".

Across the top it informs people that the form was kept by the Air Engineer Officer and was filled in when a man left his ship, annually or as directed.

It gives my grandfather's full name and "official number" as well as the history of his qualifications as an Air Mechanic, as well as a list of the ships or establishments where he served. It also highlighted the types of airplanes he worked on if he did, but by his final posting, he was working in equipment maintenance.

The best part about this form for us, was that my grandfather had also left three photos which showed the various people he served with, but other than a bunch of signatures on the last, no identifying marks. Using his service record on this form, along with the types of aircraft he worked on, (and my brother's knowledge of WWII aircraft) we were able to identify each of the photos to the most likely of the ships and thus crew that the photos showed.