1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Robert SUTHERLAND b.1836 Scotland - died NZ

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by MaryY, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MaryY

MaryY LostCousins Member

The man I seek was definitely born June 1936 in Scullomie, Tongue. His birth is in the OPR and he's with his family, I think 1841, 1851 and 1861 tho' I don't have my family file to hand. In 1863 he applied to the Kirk Session for a character reference for emigration to New Zealand, and thereafter he vanished from Scottish census. Then sometime in late 20century people from New Zealand made contact with family still in Tongue, supposedly Robert Sutherland's descendants. But sadly contact was lost again.

2. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

New Zealand death certificates have a lot of information on them - length of time in NZ, if not born there; place of birth; names of parents and spouse; ages (not names) of children. The information is only as good as that provided by the informant, of course, but it is pretty comprehensive!