1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Results that don't match

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by jorghes, May 10, 2017.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Thank you so much Peter! Without your email I'm not sure the resolution would have been as clean as it is.

I have now received an email that explains what you have (and that it was because of your intervention that they looked into it) and once they have clarified my address, they will be sending out a new test. - Apparently the test results were borderline and just below what they usually would have accepted, so perhaps that is where the error of sending out the results came in.

I'm looking forward to some better results next time, hopefully!

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Peter Power strikes again !!;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps this time it would be best not to have a chinese takeaway the night before ;)

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Peter's intervention has clearly had the desired effect, so it's now fingers crossed for the re-test.

However, two things still concern me about all this: 1) It shouldn't have been necessary for Peter (or anyone else) to intervene before the issue was taken seriously, and 2) we shouldn't underestimate the level of distress that releasing such misleading results could have caused.

Let's hope it really has been an isolated incident, and that it won't happen again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure it won't - I included a link to this discussion when I wrote to Living DNA.

6. jorghes

I think that link and your intervention was what swayed them, especially since they mentioned their usual practice of helping those inquirers to figure out where the results come from (possibly fixing issues, or guiding people in a new direction).

7. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

Well just to reassure any users of Living DNA I took an Ancestry DNA test and was so surprised/disappointed with the results that I took another test with Living DNA and their results chimed in with my research.

I expect you did all this the first time but follow their pre-test instructions to the letter (if memory serves) clean your teeth an hour before hand, rinse mouth with water and don't eat or drink afterwards. Swab cheeks anti clockwise for the alloted time. I'm doing this from memory so if I'm not exact I apologise, but I believe the instructions were on those lines. Hope it goes well for you the second time around

8. jorghes

Wish I had something to say that everything is done now... however, nothing has happened. I got and sent off my kit; activated it, and there has been no notification that LivingDNA have received the kit, and even though it is now August, no results.

So, suffice it to say, I’m rather disappointed. Might have to contact them again and ask them whether or not they actually received the second kit. (Only just realised, since I saw someone else mention it).

9. Pauline

I've checked what emails I had from them, and there was one to say the kit had been received, and then another later one to say testing had started, and finally one to say the results were in. I think you sent off your second kit about the same time I did so I'd expect them to be sending out the same email responses. Have you signed into your account to see what it says there?

If there's no indication of the kit being received, I'd recommend contacting them sooner rather than later.

10. FamilyHistoryGal

If you sign into your account you should see what stage the process is at. At some point in the process they give you a number and that is part of the sign in process

11. jorghes

It says "Kit Activated" and has said that since May.

I have received no emails from them at all since I activated my second kit after the debacle of the first. I remember receiving all the emails the first time around - one to tell me that they had started testing and giving me an approximate finish date etc. I've had nothing of that this time around.

**Update - have now (after having to go around the world, since their help pages are not accessible easy once you have signed in to their portal) emailed them a query about whether or not the kit has arrived, and what it's status is.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  12. jorghes

Well, now it's official. The second sample never made it to Living DNA. Now I'm awaiting a third kit.

13. FamilyHistoryGal

Dear oh dear! Why would these kits not make it to Living DNA? Surely post office workers don't want to nick tubes of spit! Very puzzling!

14. jorghes

oh who knows! I suppose it depends on where it went missing between Australia and the UK.

15. Pauline

A couple of years ago, I had something apparently go missing in the post travelling the other way, from the UK to Australia. Just over 4 months later, after I'd claimed compensation from the Post Office and the replacement package had arrived, my original package reached its destination. Turns out it had been mistakenly sent by sea instead of by airmail.

Anyway, hopefully it will be third time lucky for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jorghes

That is a little ironic - I once had a very small parcel vanish between where it was posted in the city and my house, which is probably about 30-40km outside the city. It has never turned up.

Well, I keep hoping. This is getting beyond frustrating now though.

17. jorghes

For those still interested, I have finally received my second set of results... lucky no stopped at Birth stories here!

My results now seem more like what I was looking for!
    I am now (officially) 98.3% European and 1.7% Near East. The test doesn’t pull up any of my Jewish genetics, which I wasn’t expecting, considering I didn’t take the test looking for that.

It does confirm I am as much of an English/Scottish/Welsh “mutt” as I thought, since my 79.3% Great Britain & Ireland results come from the following areas:
    - Devon
    - South Central England
    - North Yorkshire
    - Northumbria
    - South Wales
    - South Wales Borders
    - East Anglia
    - North Wales
    - Cumbria
    - South England
    - Aberdeen
    - Orkney
    and Northeast Scotland...

Unfortunately no Kent or Sussex, which puts my previous thoughts about my ultimate male ancestor in the shade. Will have to keep looking around Hampshire, it seems! But most of that seems quite realistic, although I’m surprised there is no Jewish even flagged (pretty sure now my ancestors were Ashkenazi Jews), but it would have been a small percentage anyway.

18. Pauline

Great to hear you got there in the end - it's certainly taken long enough!

As it happens I was wondering about this yesterday so thanks for the update.