1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Restored photos

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by JacquiB, Dec 29, 2014.

1. JacquiB

JacquiB New Member

Thanks Peter for the link for reduced price photo fixing on repixl in the recent newsletter. 2 great results of my TOZER family, from 1909, just before most of them (except my great grandfather) emigrated to Canada & my gg gf committed suicide (a probable case of PTSD after 24 years in the Royal Artillery). It's the only photo we have of my g gf's family and the original is badly damaged.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jacqui, welcome to the forum. Are you able to post the pictures here? We'd all love to see them.

3. JacquiB

JacquiB New Member

Thanks Tim.

Having a go at posting the restored pics... But I only seem to be able to post a url rather than upload? Fingers crossed:
    Tozer family 1909
    Tozer great grandparents 1909

The family photo was sadly torn in 2 & damaged along the tear (notably lady on right hand side) - worst of all, my mum can't find it now, so a very good job I'd scanned it some time ago. The photo of my grandmother with her parents was just badly faded.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. JacquiB

JacquiB New Member

The "young" chap in uniform in the family photo was a casualty of WWI, he added a year to his age and used his sister's name as his mother's (Ellen Elizabeth vs Elizabeth), although the 1911 & 1916 censuses confirm his mother's address. We visited his grave in 2008 on our way back from a holiday in S. of France.

5. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I'm resurrecting this forum because I wonder what's happened to the marvellous photo restorers Repixl. There is a company on the Internet with that name but it can't be the same. Or can it?.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately the Repixl we knew and loved had to stop dealing with the public and focus on commercial customers. I understand there are other changes in the pipeline.

I am looking for another firm who can provide a similar service to LostCousins members - please contact me privately if you have a recommendation.

7. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you, Peter, but how sad. I suppose it didn't pay. I'm afraid I know of no such firm. Let's hope some other Forum members might.