1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Record Search

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by jorghes, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Any chance you could fill in the gaps for me here, please? I can remember you writing about the GRO indexes in newsletters but not about this aspect specifically, nor can I find it.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

See the newsletters around the time of the release of the new indexes.

3. Pauline

OK, thanks, I'll try that - if I can remember or work out when the release was!

4. peter

No need to remember, use the newsletter Search.

5. Pauline

Yes, that's how I managed to work out the release date in the end, but I'm still not finding any mention of entries that are indexed under two surnames in the old indexes but only under one in the new.

Never mind! Wondering if there were other examples like the one I mentioned was only a casual thought, and I've reported the error/omission to the GRO so hopefully this example will one day not be one any more.

6. peter

No, the early articles probably didn't give examples, because they hadn't been found - the examples came later. What those articles did was more important - explaining the differences in the way the indexes were compiled. Everything else follows from that.