1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Random booting from Ancestry

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by jorghes, Mar 11, 2020.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I've noticed over the past week that I am continually asked to sign in to Ancestry, even when checking through hints.

It seems completely random and may be a sign that I need to clear the cache.

Anyone else having as much fun as me?

I am a Chrome user on Windows when this has been happening, I haven't noticed the same using Safari on my Mac.

2. CeeJay

CeeJay LostCousins Star

This has been happening to me for about a year now. Some days it does it every time I edit the search details I've entered, other days the site behaves fine, I've cleared the cache and cookies and no improvement, and that's about the limit of my IT skills. I contacted Ancestry and they were outstandingly unhelpful. The other really annoying little trick is to take me to Ancestry.com, even when I'm looking at a UK record set, it then smugly tells me I can't access that record.
    Like you I'm using Chrome and Windows

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The only time I've had that problem is when I've inadvertently switched (or been switched) to Ancestry.com - this can happen when you view Help information or other similar pages as these are often only hosted on the US site.

There have been occasions in the past when Ancestry has been very busy and then I end up at Ancestry.com - but they are few and far between.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

This hasn't happened to me for a while but at one time was happening with annoying regularity. To get round this I made sure I was also logged in at ancestry.com, then I was still able to view the images despite being on the wrong site. And often I only noticed I was on the wrong site when I returned to the Ancestry homepage and found it wasn't my personalised homepage, at which point I switched back to the UK site.

5. jorghes

Well, it just happened to me again, in the midst of attempting to add a record to my tree. Mid-process, it asked me to sign in. It's increasingly occuring on my Apple devices as well, when using the app.

I haven't been bumped, that I've noticed, to the .com site, as far as I know I've remained on the .com.au site at all times.

6. TonyB

TonyB New Member

I have had the same problem for about a year. Plenty of discussion with Ancestry and they did accept that they had an issue after being able to replicate the issue. I had gone through all the usual "fixes" clearing the cache, different browser, etc but to no avail. I also used 3 different devices including a laptop with Linux, an Apple I-pad plus my usual PC with Win 8.1. It happens mostly when I tried to look at sources from within the "Facts" area. Annoyingly, it then took me to Ancestry.com site & told me to sign up again. Have had to work around it ever since as they told me they did not know how long it would take to fix!

7. jorghes

Thanks for the info TonyB - I won't count on it being fixed anytime soon then!

8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I am not getting booted as much as the page is freezing when I am going back and forth from FTM. I do not know if the problem is with FTM or Ancestry but at least once a day everything freezes when I am in the Ancestry part and I have to do the control-alt-delete action to shut everything down as the little x does not work either. I get a message that says something went wrong. Other open sites still work fine. Then when I log onto FTM I get the message that it was not properly shut down; when the page returns I have the individual and shared facts page instead of the regular one. This has been happening for more than a week now. Also, Ancestry is not sending me e-mails when I have messages and Saturday I could not read the latest ones. I still cannot but I informed the sender and she re-sent them; I could read those.

Is anyone else having this problem?

9. jorghes

I don't get emails when I am sent messages, but that has been happening for a long time. I don't get the issues with freezing though, either FTM or Ancestry.

10. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I sent a message to the FTM people about it. It happened repeatedly today; I must have had to end task at least five times.

11. I had that problem ages ago, I fixed it by undoing all the selections I had made then re-selecting them. I may have logged off and back on again in between those actions, not sure as my memory isn't what it used to be.
    For what it's worth I do not have any problems with Ancestry and FTM apart from the sometimes slow response to a command in Ancestry. As it is such a huge site and used by millions at one time I can forgive the odd hiccup. (generous of me, who is not the most patient person on earth).

12. jorghes

I'm on Ancestry everyday almost, so it doesn't worry me that I don't get emails about messages, I usually spot the little notification anyway!

13. So am I but I always read my emails before I do anything and it's nice to see the full message and use a proper link if one has been provided.
    Each to his/her own.