1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Questions concerning a birth entry

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by SueMay, May 25, 2021.

1. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

I have a couple of questions/help concerning a birth entry which I am hoping someone could perhaps help me with.

First:
    Mother's name on birth entry is stated as being Mary Compigne, late Roberts, formerly Heath.
    If I understand correctly, she was born Heath, then married a Roberts, and is now a Compigne. Am I correct?

Second:
    I have searched marriages for a Michael Compigne and Mary with out success, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Third:
    I have also searched 1851 & 1861 census records and not found Michael Compigne (Snr) anywhere.
    I believe he is the son of George Compigne (1791), born in 1818, Great Berkhampsted. Any ideas or suggestions?

Other information:
    It looks like Michael Compigne (Snr) dies in 1861, in Lambeth, London.
    On the 1861 & 1871 census records, Michael Compigne (1852), is listed with the surname, Heath. On the 1871 he is listed as being the 'ward' of Alfred Compigne. Michael ends up in America where he is known as Michael Compigne Heath.

I have been working on Michael Compigne Heath for a few months now and, having received his birth entry recently, don't feel any closer to solving who his mother is so any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

COMPIGNE seems like the sort of name that would have some interesting spelling variations. It would be interesting to see what FamilySearch offer as alternatives.

3. SueMay

Yes, I have been exploring them but so far without much success. Maybe a 'new' set of eyes might help.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It would help if you told us what the alternative spellings are. Many years ago I used to work with someone whose surname was, I think, spelled CAMPEIGNE (though I'd completely forgotten the name until just now, so I might have misremembered it - it was certainly pronounced 'campaign').

5. SueMay

Compagne, Compine, Compiegne, Compignie, Compaine, Compiene, Compigny, Compini, Compiny, Champaigne, Champione, etc. I've not ticked them off as I've searched as I hoped FamilySearch, FMP and Ancestry would give there own. :( Maybe I should do than now :)

6. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

There is a death notice in the Hertford Mercury (27 July 1861):

'On 18th inst., at the residence of his sister, Mrs Horatio Handey, Michael Compigné, Esq., third son of the late George Compigné, Esq., of Berkhampsted, aged 41.'

and there is also a notice in the London Gazette of 25 Feb 1862 asking for claimants against his estate:

'...estate of Michael Compigné, formerly of No.9, Clement's-inn, Middlesex and late of No.61, Upper Stamford-street, Surrey (who died intestate on 18th July 1861, and administration to whose estate and effects was on 14th December 1861 granted... to James Compigné of Winchester...'

...Assuming this is the same Michael Compigné, there are a few relatives named here that could be investigated.

I tried to look up who was living at 61 Upper Stamford St (which is in Lambeth, the district where his death was registered) in the 1861 census, only to find the numbers jump from 53 to 86 and I couldn't see 61. I only had a quick look, so maybe I missed it, but that could be why you couldn't find him in the 1861 census?

None of this helps to trace Mary directly, of course. I couldn't find a marriage of Michael Compigne to a Mary either, though I did find a Mary Ann Heath (minor) married a James Roberts (gunner & driver in the R.A.) at St Mary, Lambeth on 24 Nov 1837, which might possibly be her first marriage. Maybe a long shot, but perhaps worth investigating further?

7. Helen7

Correction: On a closer look at the newspaper clipping, I think it actually says aged 44 (the print is a bit faint!). So that fits quite well with his birth in 1818.

8. SueMay

Hi Mary, Yes, thank you so much, I've actually been going down that same line too. Have been looking at everything you have mentioned. I had hoped he was with his sister, Ruth Hendey, but he isn't.
    I am really doubting that Michael and Mary may actually have been married.
    I also found the marriage for a Mary Ann Heath & James Roberts, dated 24 November 1837, Lambeth, Surrey but I'm unable to view the document, so may need to order it.
    My Ancestry subscription ran out yesterday but I will be renewing it using the discount code. I'm hoping they may have a document I can view. I've been working with FamilySearch and FMP today.
    I did find a 1841 & 1851 census record for an Ann & James Roberts in Lambeth. He is a woodcutter/Turner master. Not sure if they are the same people.
    Hopefully, if I get to view the marriage, it will give me name and occupation of Mary Ann's father which could possibly fit with rest of family I already have.

9. Helen7

Yes, the document is on Ancestry, so you'll be able to see it there.
    Spoiler alert! - Mary Ann's father is William, a coach painter.

10. SueMay

Thank you so much....mmmm, that is interesting. I hope you don't mind me asking but are there any interesting witnesses who could be related?

11. Helen7

I can't read either of the witness signatures with any certainty, but I think one of them may have the surname Heath. I'll attach a screenshot to see if you can make out the names...
    1837 marriage witness sigs.jpg

12. SueMay

That's great. Thank you so much. Looks like Hannah Heath ....
    I've found William Heath on 1841 census with a Harriet Heath (1816), so maybe it's her. I'm assuming a sister.
    I'll look into the family a bit more.

Really appreciate all the help.

13. Helen7

Yes I think the witness could well be Harriett rather than Hannah.

14. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Comparing the letters with those in the surname, I think it might say ‘hanah’.

15. SueMay

Is anyone able to help me decipher the address on the birth entry above? I'm struggling to work it out and would appreciate some help. TIA

16. Helen7

It looks very grainy when I zoom in to look at the address. Is it possible for you to zoom into that part of the certificate on your computer and take a screenshot of just the address to post? (as I did for the witness signatures above)

17. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

A clearer image would help, but it looks to me like Milton Street, Euston Square - 23, I think.

18. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Looks like 23 Melton Street. Euston Square (adjacent Euston Train Station)

19. SueMay

Screenshot (285)a.png Screenshot (286)a.png Apologies, afternoon got a bit busy with other things. I agree it isn't a very good copy but that it what I received. I will try and add closeups.

20. SueMay

Think I will be going with Melton Street. Have just been looking at 1851 & 1861 census records for that address...sadly no clues.