1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Public House History UK

Discussion in 'More London Resources' started by Jennie, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

The UK Pub History

The pub history site now covers all of Essex, London, Kent, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Middlesex, Suffolk, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Sussex, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Devon, Somerset and parts of Lincoln and Leicester - not bad, ey? [I quote]

You can search by surname, street address, or public house name. There are nearly 50,000 pages of pub history detail in this search engine; which is mainly historical. New pubs and additional detail is added every day, and the search engine updates weekly. [I quote]

Although I do not have any Publicans on my tree, only Beers Sellers, I found this site interesting and searched to see if the the haunts of my younger days were listed. Yes, they are! One was, Dirty Dicks, with its unusual concept of interior decoration of 202 Bishopsgate, Bishopsgate EC2M 4NR and its history and photographs.

2. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

There's also The Lost Pubs Project

I've used this site a few times to gather information (& sometimes a photo) about a pub which no longer exists.

3. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I wonder of there is a similar site for lost theaters or cinemas? Should i Google this? I have two pictures of my grandfather, clearly at some sort of entertainment place, definitely in Bournemouth, but i am not sure where they are. I also know he was a sign writer, a beautifully artistic painter (but not pictures) and belonged to an entertainment troop in one of the World Wars. Can i narrow any of this down? Nope....i cant even find any military documents from him as it is! A very illusive man, and makes me all too aware of how easy to lose ancestral information if it is not recorded.
    Grandad Joseph Martin.jpg Joseph Martin (left of picture).jpg

4. Jennie

Have just added this ENSA – Entertainments National Service Association - to the Military 'More Resources', thought it may help you get some ideas or leads. I wonder who the man on the right is, presuming your grandfather is on the left?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Jennie

Part 2 for you which I added to No Boundaries' More Resources Cinematopia – Old Cinemas. UK based. Enjoy your visit to the 'pictures' =)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Thank you Jennie. I, too, have wondered who the man on the left is. Could he be an actor, manager, entertainer?? *sigh* :confused: Just make sure you all label your photos so future generations know who they are (just make sure you don't write it in something that ahows through to the front and spoils the photograph!)

7. Jennie

He certainly does look theatrical with a fine head of hair immaculately coiffured and not too far away from the 1960s Teddy Boy Quiff (a coiff to a quiff?).

Writing on photos, another hint from experience: Don't use a felt tip of any kind and if you must, make sure it's dried before putting it back on the 'Done' pile!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

The Converor of this very useful site is really on the ball. I added info about my family publicans and he remembered my name and when another person told him she had come into posseession of a collection of title deeds relating to one of my gg grandfather's pubs he remembered and put us in touch with each other. I am now their proud possessor. As a result I was able to go to Southwark and Lewisham last week (twice yearly trip for FH to London) and follow the dates of his residence in the Poor Rate Books and see his growing success in the increased rateable value as he prospered and see the Licences in the LMA. There was a picture of one of his pubs on this site, too.