1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Proof reader required by the Home Office!

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by A. Muse, Dec 10, 2021.

1. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Peter's latest news letter has a link to the Home Office document regarding electronic registration of Births and Deaths in England and Wales. I quote below from the document:-(my underlining)

Once the death has been registered by the informant, the registrar will be able to send
    the disposal document, authorising the cremation/burial to take place, directly to the
    person effecting the disposal of the body electronically. Once the cremation/burial
    has taken place, the person effecting the disposal of the deceased person will be able
    to notify the registrar electronically.

Might this save on stupidly high funeral costs???

2. How does one dispose of a body electronically? However, is your underline obscuring a comma?

3. A. Muse

No, no comma. Perhaps just someone knowing what they meant but not reading what they had written.
    With computers I have heard of the black screen of death, but I hadn't thought it could become physical.

4. The standard of reporting/journalism is dropping, yesterday I told my partner the virus is dead.
    Because of the headline I saw 'two people died with Covid'.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

The screen of death has always been associated with being blue coloured, but what does it matter, 'black and blue' seem to go together anyway;)

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

What's wrong with that? It would be more usual for a headline writer to say 'two people die with Covid', but the version you quoted is grammatically correct.

7. It should be died OF Covid.

8. peter

That assumes that they died of COVID, which may not be the case.

9. They certainly did. The article was about people with Covid and the number who had it and who had died of it on that day.

10. peter

Died with COVID covers both - I don't see the problem.

11. You live with a disease and you die of it.

12. A. Muse

But can they still dispose of the body electronically?

13. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. peter

Suppose someone contracts a disease but dies in a road accident on the way to the hospital; they clearly didn't die of the disease, but they were living with the disease at the time they died. I can't see what is wrong with saying that they died with the disease.

Another example: someone who has contracted COVID but is asymptomatic dies in a road accident on the way to a party. Again they didn't of COVID, but they died with COVID.

Many people who contract COVID and subsequently die have other medical issues. COVID isn't always the main cause of death, and might not even have contributed to their death. It's up to the doctor or coroner to decide what goes on the death certificate.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Thomas

Thomas LostCousins Superstar

Not to mention that a journalist quite likely won't have access to the death certificate, and so regardless of how obvious it may seem, they can't publish that the person died of COVID, as they don't have the sources to prove it. So they write "died with COVID", which is easily provable (they died, and they had COVID at the time) and leave the reader to fill in the blanks.

16. Considering it was a headline for an article about the number of cases and deaths due to Covid, as I said in thread #9, you are all barking up the wrong tree.
    You have all missed the point so please leave it here, thanks.

17. A. Muse

Just to round off this thread, would the following make more sense?

Once the death has been registered by the informant, the registrar will be able to send
    the disposal document electronically to the person effecting the disposal of the body
    authorising the cremation/burial to take place.

18. Yes it definitely would.

19. peter

It needs a comma after 'body', otherwise it has a similar problem to the original.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Or perhaps

Once the death has been registered by the informant, the registrar will be able to send electronically to the person effecting the disposal of the body,
    the disposal document authorising the cremation/burial to take place.