1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem with family Tree Maker 2014

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by webwiz, May 9, 2015.

1. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

I have people in my database who do not show up in the index. I know they are there somewhere because they show in an All Individuals report and are also in a gedcom export - see images below. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Your George Neville has no birth and no location so isn't appearing in the index. If you click on the box top right of the index with 3 bars and change it from NONE to Birth date then he should appear, with an empty birth.

3. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Thanks Alexander, but unfortunately that did not work. However I have found that George is in the index, but sorted by his title not his name. I found a couple of others but the vast majority of people with titles are correctly sorted in the index by name not title. For the 3 odd ones I deleted the title and they appeared in their correct places in the index. Strange or what?

4. Alexander Bisset

That likely means that his name doesn't have a title but that his title is in the forename field by mistake. Note Title is a separate fact type titles shouldn't really go in the name field.

5. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

No it was definitely a Title fact. For these 3 persons I can make them appear anywhere in the index by adding a title fact. It seems to be a weird bug that only affects certain records. See screenshots, note that the George Neville that appears in the right place in the index is a different man. I tried deleting and adding him back but it is still the same. BTW FTA has no trouble with the gedcom, distinguishing names and titles. I will get round it by adding the title as an occupation fact for the records affected.

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

6. Alexander Bisset

Does seem odd. Perhaps query on FTM help forum?

7. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Here is the gedcom from two people, both with title facts, exported from FTM. In one case FTM puts it in the index under the title and in the other it puts it under the name. It still does this even if I import the gedcom into a new FTM file. With your experience in processing gedcom files can you spot any difference?

0 @I4302@ INDI
    1 NAME George /NEVILLE/
    1 SEX M
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE ABT 1432
    1 TITL Archbishop of York
    1 DEAT
    2 DATE 1476
    0 @I4300@ INDI

0 @I838@ INDI
    1 NAME Richard /NEVILLE/
    1 SEX M
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE 1400
    2 PLAC Raby Castle, Durham
    1 TITL 5th Earl of Salisbury
    1 DEAT
    2 DATE 1460
    1 NOTE @N284@
    1 FAMS @F403@
    0 @F403@ FAM
    1 HUSB @I838@

8. Alexander Bisset

Both look normal. Although the first one doesn't appear to be a member of any families ie: no FAMS or FAMC records.