1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem adding facts to FTM 2019

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, May 3, 2020.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Since my desktop computer is still "broken" I have managed to download FTM to my old laptop. Since it had not been backed up since January I was advised to just download everything from Ancestry, which I did. All 3952 names are now there. However, for some reason, only the bare facts are there - birth, death, and marriage. No space for baptism, cause of death, emigration, etc., which were all there previously. How do I get them back - the spaces for them at least? I see edit-manage facts but that does not permit me to actually add anything. All the colour coding is gone but I can fix that.

It will be another two weeks, if even then before Amazon sends me the replacement power supply cord and I was hoping to get some productivity done before then but now I wonder if I should just wait, do a complete backup from the desktop (assuming the cord actually works) and then upload that to the laptop.

(I should add that my desktop is only ten months old and still under warranty but the store I purchased it from refuses to help me)

Edited: I found it. Down at the bottom - customize view. I added the pertinent ones and all the information is there.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Just about to reply and you found your issue!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. canadianbeth

And now I have another question regarding the facts list. I see there is now something new - at least to me - and that is DNA markers. How does that work? Do we enter something there ourselves, or do our matches appear in that space? I see nothing currently where I know I have matches.

4. jorghes

I haven't noticed the DNA markers - I'm going to have to look. Where do they appear?

5. canadianbeth

At the bottom of the right-hand page under where it says customize view. In the list of individual and shared facts. That is where I found all the others.

In these days of people not bothering to marry, there should also be a common-law fact somewhere - under shared facts maybe?

6. jorghes

I haven't seen a Common Law fact.

I checked the DNA fact, it just gives the line "Person got their DNA tested on.... at ...." which is useful I suppose to keep track of those people you have tested/asked to get tested.

7. canadianbeth

Ok, I checked four people in my tree who have tested and the space for each of them is blank. So I think I might as well delete that fact.

And there is no common-law link, but I think there should be.

8. jorghes

You can always create your own common law fact.

I don't think that the DNA Markers fact reads any information off Ancestry. I think it's there to for you to add information too in order to keep track of those on your tree who you know have done DNA tests.

9. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

The GEDCOM 5.5 standard defines a "MARRIAGE" fact as:

"A legal, common-law, or customary event of creating a family unit of a man and a woman as husband and wife"

All 96 pages of the standard, as a PDF, can be found at FamilySearch

Phil

10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I think that the problem regarding common-law partnerships is that there is no date or place that they come into effect. An exception may exist in NZ where the law states that after 3 years of cohabitation, a common-law partnership is assumed to be in existence and then any subsequent break-up will be considered like a divorce. That is not the full legal interpretation but probably close enough for any discussion here on this forum.

11. jorghes

In Australia the relationships are referred to as "de facto", where two people live together as a couple (regardless of sex). They receive all the same rights as a documented marriage but without the certificate and you're right Bryman - the date.

Just as an interesting note (since I was quickly researching to make sure I wasn't offering incorrect information) - according to our laws, a de facto relationship can exist if one partner is married to someone else (i.e. not the person they're living with), but not apparently if they've ever been married to each other!

12. canadianbeth

I just put common-law in the third line, below the date and place. And in Canada, it is the same as Australia, common-law couples file taxes as though they are married; there is a line for that on the return.

And I removed the DNA fact, since there seems to be no point to it.