1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Probate Registry Wills

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Pauline, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

I downloaded again today and found that the document now on the system is the missing grant of probate, but without the will this time.
    If anyone does get an email reply saying there will be action then go back and download again.

If there has been no reply to an email probably nothing will have changed. My will with a missing page and my will with a codicil only and no will are still as they were.

2. john46

john46 LostCousins Member

I received a email this morning at 0816 with the usual apology about the delays , and in now seems that they have taken on ironmountain.co uk to help them sort these out, any body else had these3

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Today I received the will I ordered on 13 Feb - estimated delivery date 28 Feb, delivered 28 Feb, so bang on time. Was this a fluke or have they now cleared the backlog? I wonder how this compares with others' recent experience?

4. VictoriaB

VictoriaB New Member

I ordered a will on 7 November 2019 (will is from 2017) with an estimated delivery date of 22 November. After 11 weeks of waiting I sent a query on 8 February 2020 and got the standard email response saying I would get a reply in 2 working days. This is the reply I got on 3 March:

"Dear Customer,
    We are still experiencing very high demand for copies of wills, which delays significantly the usual timescale to provide you with the copies requested.
    Due to the increased volumes, we are unable to provide you with a specific timetable for when we are able to deliver your documents. However we are making all the efforts to speed up the process and it will take us several weeks to work through the orders already in the system.
    We thank you for your patience and cooperation. We will get back to you with updates as soon as we can.
    Kind Regards,
    HMCTS Wills Helpdesk"

So 15 weeks today and still "several weeks" to wait...

5. Stephen L

I received 6 wills in February with delivery varying between 9 days early and 6 days late compared with the estimate.
    It looks like for current orders they are keeping up on average but delivery is unpredictable.

From this forum they are still doing less well with clearing some of the undelivered orders from months ago. We do not know how many are still missing.

Some progress is being made with enquiries about problems with delivered wills. I had the wrong grant of probate attached. That was put right within days. A missing page was corrected by the complete grant being sent again by email, after normal viewing had expired.
    I am still waiting for a will where only the codicil was provided and that was mid January.

If there is a problem with a delivered will it is worth using the Contact Us form via the link you can see after signing in.

6. VictoriaB

VictoriaB New Member

The 2017 will I requested on 7 November 2019, estimated delivery 22 November, finally arrived at exactly 17 weeks, on 20 March 2020.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Does anyone know if they are still opperating normally ? There is a will I would like t ?o order but I am loathe to do so if they are not working normally

8. It appears they might working slowly. the notice in the GRO Online Index section probably applies to the wills as well,
    use this link to read their notice.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. JudyW

JudyW New Member

Wills that I ordered during Jan/Feb 2020 took about 3 weeks. During June, it varied from a few days to 3 weeks. August's order was ready within 2 to 5 *days*. Virtually all of the 70+ wills I've ordered have been useful in some way (eg, confirming identity/relationships or giving exact addresses, middle names, children's spouses' names, occupations etc), and about 70% have mentioned personal possessions. I have observed that (1) wills of *women* are more likely to mention personal possessions, household items and heirlooms; and (2) wills of *unmarried* women often mention the extended family (eg, cousins, nieces/nephews & their children).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. In response to Peter’s request in the newsletter of 23 August ‘If you have any recent experience of the service please add your comments to the discussion’ this is my experience this year.
    Ordered 2 wills on 5 Mar 2020
    One arrived on 7 Mar 2020
    The other arrived on 13 Mar 2020

At the same time I left several wills in my basket. Went back to finalise that order about 2 months later, they had disappeared. Have never had a satisfactory answer as to why that happened.
    Haven’t yet got around to making another attempt.

Ordered 1 will on 5 Jul 2020
    It arrived on 21 Jul 2020.
    The automated messaging about expiry is working as it should.

11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That sort of information may well have been stored in a 'session cookie', so would have disappeared when you logged-out (or were logged-out).

12. Stephen L

I ordered five wills on 28th July. Three arrived on 5th/6th August but two are still outstanding.

13. That makes sense but I do wonder why they couldn't have told me how their system works.

14. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure they would have done if the person dealing with your query had had the information.

15. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

After my experience last year I bravely ordered some more wills on 9 July. They all came very promptly except for one which is still outstanding. I suppose I'd better follow it up!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

My orders have come through quite well:
    1927 will ordered 2nd Feb received 5th Feb
    2017 will ordered 12th July received 14th July
    1964 will and 1971 will ordered 12 th July received 20th July.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Carol Harrison

Carol Harrison LostCousins Member

My wills have come relatively quickly so no complaints there.
    They did send an email saying they hadn't got one of them. When I sent a screen shot of their page giving the details they apologised and sent it.
    I guess the moral is here that you don't take their word for it if you think they are wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SLJ

SLJ LostCousins Member

This is a brilliant resource, except when it takes a year for a will to be sent! I ordered two wills July 2019, one came quickly and the other didn't turn up till Dec 2019 and it was the wrong one. After several emails trying to get sorted, was eventually sent August 2020. Yet one this August arrived within a week. Would advise others to use.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2020
  19. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I ordered a 2009 will late Friday afternoon and it was delivered late Sunday afternoon (yesterday), in line with the estimated delivery date. Quite impressive!

20. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

After my previous post I sent a query re my outstanding will, ordered 7 July. I got the usual acknowledgement on 27 August, we will endeavour to provide a response within 2 working days. Since then no contact or explanation until this evening when the will has just arrived. Nothing contentious with it, all correct. So rather late but I've got it!