1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Peter's new avatar

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Katie Bee, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Hi Peter,
    It looks as if your op went to plan and you are able to see through one eye.
    Thanks for changing your avatar to show us how you look after your op.
    Hope the drops don't hurt.
    K

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks - no problems with the drops so far, but there's a long way to go.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

All the best for your recovery

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

You must be down to 1900 drops to go now! It's tedious but well worth it.

5. peter

Although I'm still wearing the eye shield at night I'm able to take it off during the day. What else I must or mustn't do varies quite a bit between the guidance provided by the consultant, the hospital, and the NHS - but all seem to agree that I can use my computer, whoopee!

6. peter

This is my Pudsey-style avatar, posted here for posterity:

[​IMG]

7. Perhaps I don't get out enough, I have no idea what Pudsey style is. I think I preferred the original avatar.

8. peter

Google knows - at least, it does if you search from within the UK. You might get different results in NZ.

9. And I might get different results if I search from China!!
    How do you reconcile Pudsey style with a monkey on your back?

10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I think that you have picked the wrong item from Google search. Try searching for Pudsey Bear instead of Pudsey Style and the connection will be obvious.

11. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Something has gone amiss - the Pudsey style one posted for posterity has changed to the latest avatar

12. peter

It still shows on my screen:
    upload_2022-7-21_14-49-7.png

13. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Mine too
    upload_2022-7-21_15-7-15.png

14. Pauline

It’s changed back now! But it was definitely the one with monkey when I mentioned it above, and also in the replies quoting it. And looking at what AHNZ wrote in #9, that seems to be a reference to the monkey avatar.

15. Pauline

So, I tried on another computer and that had the monkey avatar saved for posterity, and then I looked again on my iPad and the Pudsey one was showing.

Now I’ve cleared the cache on my iPad and it has the monkey one saved for posterity. So it was obviously getting the Pudsey one from the cache.

Peter and Bob’s replies at #12 and 13 are still showing the quoted Pudsey one, but those are the only posts now showing it.

16. peter

If I log-in using a different browser then I see what Pauline reported. Just as well I screenshotted it.

Programmers will understand why we're seeing what we're seeing, but I'm not going to attempt to explain it.

17. Pauline

And the same will apply to anyone viewing this thread for the first time, or anyone else who has recently cleared their cache.
    Is that really a word? My dictionary doesn't recognise screenshot as a verb, only a noun, but the dictionary is about 3 or 4 years out of date.

18. peter

It's a word - Google it,

19. From Google:
    Is Screenshotted correct?
    Yes, screenshot is a verb, with a past tense form of "screenshotted." It's a relatively new coinage, obviously, but it's valid. Correct but a bit short. Short answers tend to get flagged as low quality.10/10/2019

From me:
    Don't get me started on the ever changing language, current reporters and journalists are annoyingly clever at it, too clever because often the meaning is lost but obviously not to the writer.

20. Pauline

I found the same answer from Google, and it confirms what I said - my dictionary is 3 or 4 years behind the times!