1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Paying by cheque

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Yes, we were about have someone come to our elderly relative's home to help her set up an LPA when the pandemic struck. Maybe it's time to try again?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Why did you need 'someone' to sort it out?

3. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Maybe we don't, but a local charity had offered to help with it, so we were going to see what help they could give. In all of this, please remember that the person who needs to set up the LPA is mentally competent but unable to use the telephone or internet. We didn't want to seem to be railroading her into doing anything and thought an independent person to advise her might be helpful to all of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

You have to be mentally competent to set up an LPA (see Citizens Advice).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Yes, but if you are physically disabled it can be difficult and you may need help.

6. peter

Other people need to be involved with the setting up of any Power of Attorney, including the attorney(s), and someone else who knows the person well and can confirm that they have the mental capacity to understand what they are signing.

Having someone 'independent' come in to give advice might be reassuring for some. But many, I suspect, would prefer to rely on the advice of people they already know and trust.

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I would guess that the individuals concerned are the ones best placed to make a decision on what is right for them.

What perhaps matters more is that people are aware that there is no obligation to pay for professional or other involvement when making an LPA. Some people may nevertheless want to obtain professional advice or help, but that is their choice - in the same way that some people choose to pay an accountant to do their tax form, or a solicitor to handle probate matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

You are correct, and I have now remembered that it was mainly the need to involve others for these purposes that made us put things on hold during lockdown. Plus the fact that rearranging Mum-in-Law's life - and our's - to minimise the risk of her catching Covid was quite time-consuming and stressful, at a time when we were all already stunned by finding ourselves in the midst of a pandemic. Of all the nightmare scenarios I'd ever imagined or planned for, it wasn't one of them. I kept saying 'I never expected to have to live through something like this!'

Indeed, we did want to check with someone offering free advice that our understanding of the process was correct, but didn't think we needed to pay for any further advice. To be honest, I think we were also deterred by the HUGE information pack that we got from the Office of the Public Guardian. It might just need us to take a bit of time out to read it all more carefully?

In any case, I am sure that we ought to get it sorted out sooner rather than later now. It's just a pity that none of us thought about it BEFORE Mum-in-Law's health started to fail ... but of course we were busy working long hours then, as we hadn't retired, and Mum-in-Law was busy enjoying her retirement!