1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Parish Register Queries

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by DavidP, Mar 2, 2015.

1. DavidP

DavidP LostCousins Member

My knowledge of Latin is virtually non-existent, so I wonder if someone could help with the following which are taken from the burials in the Parish Registers of Thirsk, Yorkshire (they are just examples and I assume they are common to most PRs):

"January xv - John Robinson filius xpoferi, ex morbo predicto" I assume John Robinson son of ? was buried on Jan 15, but what the heck does the rest mean?

Another example: " March xxij = Ricarde Cussons was bur. ex eod morbo" Ricarde Cussons was buried on 22nd March and ....?

Perhaps there could be a new section in the forum that contained a list/glossary of some of the more common terminology used in Parish Registers, for example, I thought "Uxor" as in "Uxor Willm Smyth was buried" was a first name, but it transpires it means 'the spouse of'.

And one final question... What does "xpoferi" or "expofer"? Is it shorthand for Christopher?

Thanks in anticipation.:)

2. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

I can't help with the 'morbo' phrases, but yes, Xpofer is a common abbreviation for Christopher - the 'XP' is actually Chi Rho or the two initial Greek letters of Christ.

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi DavidP, According to the Google translation page...... ex morbo predicto, from disease aforementioned (which makes sense)
    ex eod morbo, from cod disease OR from ch disease? I don't think that either can be correct, unless someone knows what ch/cod disease is? According to my Latin/English dictionary, eo means thither or there, eodem means to the same place, purpose or person. I think you may be on the right lines xpoferi or expofer may be Christopher just as Xmas/Christmas.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

According to my husband:
    from the aforesaid illness/disease
    from the same illness/disease (eod short for eodem)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. DavidP

Many thanks all. The previous entries in the registers for those in question both died of the plague, so that makes sense. It was in 1604. I also encountered the same phrases later on when there was a measles epidemic.

You learn something new each day, so I have done my bit for today!

6. DavidP

Another Parish Register terminology query, if I may trouble you again.

Wading through Parish Registers I have come across the term "Natural Child of ..." What does this mean? There are references to 'Base Child" or "Illegitimate Child" or even "Child of Fornication", which are obviously children born out of wedlock, but does 'Natural Child' indicate that the mother was married, but the father had died? Wouldn't this be recorded as, say, 'Jane , natural child of Mary, widow of John........'? In all cases I have seen there is only a mother's name associated with a natural child.

Thanks in anticipation

David

7. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

That gives you your answer, David. A 'natural' child is just another way of describing an illegitimate child.

8. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have had this explained to me before as a 'kinder' way of referring to an illegitimate child and especially where the mother's name only is mentioned. It would depend to a large degree on the mind set of the clergyman and the standing of the mother (especially her family) in the parish as to how the birth would be recorded in Parish records.

9. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Absolutely Bob. I have the situation of three children being born in a workhouse with the father being described as being "whereabouts unknown" upon their baptisms. Whereas in actual fact the husband of he mother of the children was an army man and stationed in Nova Scotia. He could no possibly been the father of the children but was acknowledged so in the parish records.