1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Parish Register Burials

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Gwilym'smum, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Gwilym'smum

Gwilym'smum LostCousins Member

Hello
    I was recently going through Cheswardine (Shropshire) parish register in the early 1700s. There were burials with affidavit which was used to confirm that the burial was in wool. The constables were called when there was a burial in linen! However the burials were also recorded as "certified". When 2 together were recorded as "uncertified" the minister "ran for the constables". Unfortunately the records were at the bottom of the page and the next line was squeezed in and I was unable to read the words before "Act of Parliament". Now this could refer to the act regarding being buried in wool but I have not seen "certified" before and have been unable to find if it is for wool or perhaps free from disease or plague. Anyone's ideas would be welcome please.
    Stay safe

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It was necessary to provide an Affidavit to confirm that the body had been buried in wool - see this example.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Gwilym'smum

Gwilym'smum LostCousins Member

Thank you for that. The only people who were exempt were paupers or plague victims and instead of the abbreviation affid the term naked was used.