1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Parish Clerk

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Carla, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

One of my ancestors was a Parish Clerk. I have read a variety of information about Parish Clerks, from suggestions that they were often illiterate and dullards to the opposite, in that they were educated and respected men. Was it an important job? Was there a register of Parish Clerks? Did they get paid well......and if so could this be the reason why my ancestor's daughter did not have to claim money for her illegitimate child? Would the fact a Parish Clerk had an illegitimate grandchild damage his reputation as a Clerk?
    So many questions! :confused:

2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I have at least one 'uncle' who was a parish clerk in the late 19th century. He seems to have fitted it in with a number of other jobs - without checking I think he was post master as well. In his case, at least, he was certainly educated; the whole family had (non-manual) trades. Possibly, though, you are thinking of earlier times(?)

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

It was around the middle part of the 19th century.:)

5. megb

megb LostCousins Member

My earliest records are maternal grandmother's side. From village of Bickenhill, Warwickshire. I have ancestors in 1600 who, both father and son, were overseers of the poor and kept churchwarden accounts. They were otherwise farmers.

I went to Warwickshire University library and saw and handled the original books. No white gloves as the records are so delicate. They are handed out on velvet pads and gloves would break the corners more than fingers so I just had to be careful. Writing almost illegible. Interesting to see to whom the money went and why. It was worth going and to see my ancestors handwriting in the flesh shortened the years inbetween.

The family seemed to split in the late 1700s and went to either Birmingham or Coventry into industry. My branch went to the Jewellery Quarter of Birmingham and worked in that industry.
    Interestingly they all seem to have been able to read and write when not everyone did. One or two later became teachers in 1800s.