1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Coronavirus Corner - a place to share your hopes, dreams, and frustrations.
  5. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

Paleography

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by RichardJB, Oct 29, 2020.

1. RichardJB

RichardJB LostCousins Member

Hi, I thought I was beginning to master reading the sort of script in the attached will extract but for the life of me I cannot decifer the first word of the 5th line down:

"[?] ifone of my said niece (whether the parent or ancestor of such ifone"

Any thoughts anyone, please?

Also this is the first time I've come across the use of "ifone" (it occurs several times in this will). I have not found a definition in any of my dictionaries of terms etc. Does anyone know such definition?

Thanks

Richard Clean Copy Part 1 Extract.jpg

2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Star

I think the word you've transcribed as "ifone" could be "issue", i.e. descendants. The old long s is similar to a modern f, and n's and u's are very similar. The first word of the 5th line, preceding "issue", could be "remoter".

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. RichardJB

Of course it's "issue". Silly me! I've picked up the long s elsewhere in the document and in many others - I've no idea why I failed this time! Many thanks.

4. RichardJB

Contextually "remoter" certainly works. Many thanks, again!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1