1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Page boy

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by Charlie, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Charlie

Charlie Member

Anyone any knowledge about how to find records on the Royal Household? I have a family story of a relative being a page boy at Buckingham Palace in the 1880s. Personally I don't believe it to be true but want to check it out as someone he mentioned was actually a page boy at that time. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_of_Honour#Victoria) has an extensive list but he's not on that.
    I also looked on the 1871 and 1881 censuses but he's at home on those, not the Palace.

2. Bee

Bee LostCousins Superstar

FindMyPast has a database of Royal Household Staff 1526-1924, you might be lucky.

3. Charlie

Charlie Member

Thanks Bee, I'll have a look at that. I don't have a FindMyPast subscription but might find confirmation from a name search.

4. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

5. Wendy Jean

Wendy Jean New Member

I have an ancestor who was a house maid at Windsor Castle and my brother wrote to ask for any information they might have. He received a letter headed The Royal Archives from the registrar giving details of when she entered the Royal household and her previous position as housemaid with the Duchess of Cambridge in London. She also sent a photocopy of her original employment form of 1890. So it's well worth writing or emailing with details, as I think all Royal establishments have an archivist. Good luck