1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Opening an Ancestry Tree in family view mode

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Bob Spiers, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Whilst I basically enjoy having a Public Family Tree in Ancestry (indeed I have 3 such for different family branches) I dislike the way Ancestry always opens my Tree in one of two Pedigree chart modes. Yes I know I can click on the "find a person in this tree" box which will bring up the last family member viewed, but would prefer -as it originally did - that it would do this without asking. But it appears not.

As is my want I wrote to Ancestry and they have responded as they always do with the following (I will comment later)

We do not have the feature available to choose a default page to open when accessing Ancestry. You can however choose whether to have pedigree view or family view open when your first access your family tree. This is done when you access the last tree view. For example if you are reviewing your family tree on family view and change to pedigree view, the next time you access your family tree it will open to pedigree view.It's a great idea to have the option to choose a members profile to open straight away that I'm sure a lot of members may find useful. I would like to submit your idea to our feedback department. This feedback will be reported to our development team who will review your ideas for consideration.

I should point out for those who do not know, that the Pedigree view and Family view are BOTH in chart format; the former for immediate family (of the last member viewed) and the other for an expanded ancestral/descendant view. I would much rather they be an option choice, not a default.

The most useful feature of a Tree in Ancestry -as opposed to Ancestry as a search medium - is the personal family member page. If I am researching and expanding on (say) John Smith then it is his family page I want to open. What Ancestry refer to as Members profile. So with that explanation in mind, I look forward to seeing whether my suggestion is worthy of consideration by the development team.

I can but hope.