1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ontario public libraries may have to stop providing free access to Ancestry.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Britjan, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I was in the new home of a library in rural Ontario today and had a brief chat with library staff. They tell me the current way the Ancestry website is provided to them as an in-library resource is changing at the end of 2015. They will have to look for a new way of funding the costs. I'll check to get more details in my local branch but it would be blow to many of us who use the free access. It could also have Canada wide implications.

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

You were just so lucky to have many years of free access - something those of us who live 'in foreign parts' can't enjoy. It will indeed be a severe blow to Canadians, and may well be followed by restricted free access in libraries elsewhere, too.

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I am a huge fan of libraries for all kinds of reasons so I hope this is just a blip. The one I was in yesterday is in a brand new building that houses a satellite office of the OPP ( our provincial police) and the municipal business development office.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Checked more locally and they had not heard of anything different but will go into my local branch where I know a few of the staff and get the full story.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have checked with my local library here at Rolleston, near Christchurch NZ, and have just heard that they know nothing about any changes which would make Ancestry unavailable. It seems that the funding difficulties may be specific to that rural library in Ontario.

Here in NZ, my local library subscribe to Ancestry in collaboration with several other libraries to make it more affordable. Perhaps something similar might be possible in Ontario? Alternatively, might the users of that Library Edition of Ancestry be prepared to chip in a little to help fund a continuation of the service?

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I think it is very likely true as you say Bryman that this is just a local issue. I felt it worth raising the flag and having a few people to check as well. We sometimes take our wonderful library resources for granted. Thanks for checking.