1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Old Photos - can you help?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by At home in NZ, Jul 28, 2021.

1. My mother died in 2012 and in her estate I found the attached photos. There is nothing written on the reverse.

It must have meant something to either my mum or my dad, however I feel it was more likely to be dad.

My dad was a merchant seaman, served as a ship's engineer from 1937 to 1949, mostly plying between England and Australia/NZ. Two of his voyages during the war included Singapore and Hong Kong.

He was born in Stockport so I wondered if it might be somewhere around there but the relatives who still live there didn't recognise the place when I asked.

My partner and I think it looks like a private hospital or sanatorium. I think it looks very English.

Does anybody know how I can find out what the place is/was?

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Do you belong to any FaceBook groups? Like Ancestry UK? You can try posting there.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

4. Thanks Katie.
    I have tried it with my jpg as is, nothing too much like it pops up. I'll try taking it apart and use one image, when I've got a bit more time.

5. Did that, it decided to look for sash windows! Soon sorted that out then it decided it might be any one of a large number of French Chateaus.
    No. My partner has remembered he belongs to an old photos Facebook group so I'll get him to try that.

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I had a look on Google images under headings such as "Stately Homes in The UK" and "Large Country Houses in the UK" but no luck sorry.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Perhaps the house was used as an auxilliary hospital or convalescent home.

8. Thanks, we had thought about that and I looked to see where it was my paternal grandmother had died of TB but the death cert has her home address.
    It isn't a birthplace of me or any of my siblings.