1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Office 365 or Office 2016? (Do you still print on Paper?)

Discussion in 'More Resources' started by peter, Jun 9, 2015.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Warning: Office 365 is so called because you have to pay for it again every year. It's not like an anti-virus program where you stop getting updates - Office 365 stops working almost completely when your licence expires. All you can do is view files you've created - you can't edit them or create new ones until you've renewed. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy it, but it's something you need to be aware of.

Office 2013 sounds like a good bet if you need to edit PDF files, but as I already have Acrobat - which came at a bargain price when I bought a Dell laptop - I shall stick with Office 2010 (unless there's some other compelling reason to upgrade).

2. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I think anyone who considers Office 365 will be aware of the commercial model under which it's sold. Many programs are converting to that model nowadays as it eliminates software theft and piracy.

For my £75 (or so) a year I get to use the very latest version of MS's Office Suite. Not only that, I can use it on 5 devices, I get 60 minutes of Skype calls per month (useful for telephoning my daughter in the States) and 1Tb of on-line storage with SkyDrive. Not a bad deal IMO.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Office 365 is the monthly subscription online only package you don't install software on your computer. It will constantly update to the latest version and so you are always current, however as Peter says if you stop paying you stop being able to use it. You can however store your files locally or on Microsoft's OneDrive technology which is like Dropbox and SkyDrive etc so it's not entirely online.

Note also that for many people Office 365 will be the better bet, as the monthly subscription cost with free upgrades is perhaps more affordable than buying the full product with its upfront cost, and as Norman said whilst I was typing this you get a lot more than just the latest version of office with Office 365 you also get a lot of storage and other benefits.

Actually OneDrive is something people will hear a lot of with Windows 10. OneDrive is the default place to save files in Windows 8.1 and is the default in Windows 10. You can of course change this default but many people won't and will end up using Microsoft's cloud service without realising it.

Also worth being aware that this autumn Microsoft will launch Office 2016 so for anyone looking to purchase Word/Excel etc it might be worth holding off to get the latest version if you still hanker after a locally installed copy. Office 365 users will be upgraded for free of course.

4. Norman

Actually Office 365 does run from your computer. You DO download and install it locally. BTW I'm already using Office 2016 as it's available as a preview (beta) version to existing 365 subscribers now.

5. Alexander Bisset

You can however use it from your browser. Basically it is a small core app that connects to the program on the server. Locally installed components are tiny compared with a full blown Word/Excel install. That's one of the selling points you don't need such a hefty machine to run it. Not that Office was that demanding anyway.

I understand from literature too that some components of Office 365 require you to be online?

6. Norman

Office 365 programs are fully installed on all your devices. You do need to connect to the internet every 30 days or so keep your subscription valid.

From MS
    Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Office 365 subscription plans. For Office 365 plans, Internet access is also needed to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office on other PCs or to change billing options. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app. You should also connect to the Internet regularly to keep your version of Office up to date and benefit from automatic upgrades. If you do not connect to the Internet at least every 39 days, your applications will go into reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print your documents, but cannot edit the documents or create new ones. To reactivate your Office applications, reconnect to the Internet. You do not need to be connected to the Internet to use the Office applications, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, because the applications are fully installed on your computer.

7. Alexander Bisset

Thanks for that. I wonder what exactly it was I saw demonstrated a few years ago then. The participants were both just using IE to connect to "Office 365" and were both editing an Excel document simultaneously. They specifically made the point that you could do it with just a browser and you didn't need a full install which is why I thought that's the way it worked. Thanks for the info.

I'm currently contemplating whether we should at work replace our Office 2010 with Office 2016 or Office 365. The off putting thing was the thought that users would be stuck if we had an internet connection issue. If they have full blown program locally then this is no longer an issue and Office 365 with its auto upgrades seems like a cheaper solution. I'll have to investigate if the corporate licences come with OneDrive storage too or not. BAH more work!!! :( No seriously though thanks for enlightening me.

8. Norman

You can use a browser to access your SkyDrive files using Office Online for whenever you need to access your documents from, say, an internet cafe or somesuch.

Here's what Excel Online looks like

upload_2015-6-9_14-10-50.png

Attached Files:

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I appreciate the warning which may be useful for others but for myself am fully aware Office 365 requires an annual payment to purchase a licence for 5 pc's which happens to be the number I require. I opted for 365 to replace my aging Office 2007 for 3 pc's last August and am aware the licence will need to be reviewed by the end of August. It works well even though still a hybrid and is constantly updated with new features. It is effectively 2013 with cloud/internet potential but suits my purpose.

10. Alexander Bisset

Hmm yes there are online only versions that are cheaper than the full install. Interesting Norman that you have Office Household do you need it installed on 5 PCs? There is a cheaper version that installs on a single PC. The various home pricing plans are here.

11. Norman

Yes, I have a desktop, my wife has a laptop. I also have an ASUS Transformer touch screen netbook, although that came bundled with Office. I also have the Android version installed on my, and my wife's, phones.

12. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

We're going with Office 365, if that helps at all :)

13. Alexander Bisset

Does that include online email?

14. Tim

Email is MicroSoft Outlook, IM is Lync, and we use VOIP.

15. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Wow, you must be a real old-timer to remember the camel case version of their trademark - haven't seen it written that way for years!

16. Tim

Guilty, I've been rumbled!