1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Odd occupation in 1911 Irish census

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by JamesW, Sep 12, 2020.

1. JamesW

JamesW LostCousins Member

In the 1911 Irish census Lewis Porter's occupation is listed as "singer in a bleach works". Was this some sort of rudimentary musak for the workers? I think it is probably a technical term, but I have not found it after a little googling. Lewis was my grandmother's first cousin.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Have you got a link the census? Maybe we can work it out?

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Could it be from 'singe' rather than 'sing'?

4. JamesW

The link to the record is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001550790/

I did think of the possibility that the word "singer" is actually from "singe" but I can't find a reference to singe in reference to bleaching. I have made an assumption that the bleach works was processing flax, but this may be incorrect. It could have been producing bleach, for all I know. But on the assumption that it might be in relation to flax processing I searched and found an informative article at decktowel.com. I have sent a query to their info email. I'll post anything I find out here.

5. JamesW

Well that was quick. I have heard back from the president of the decktowel company who says:

Interesting, I have not heard of that position before. I am wondering if maybe something was misconstrued. A sizer in a fabric manufacturer back in the day was someone who applied sizing to the fabric. That’s about all I can think of. Conversely in the tobacco factories in Cuba there was position know as a reader. They read from literary classics to the tobacco rollers as they rolled cigars. Maybe a singer had a similar role in the bleach works!!
    The 1911 census was filled in by a household member, and in this case it was Lewis himself, so I'm pretty sure the word is "singer". The fact about the readers in Cuban tobacco factories does lend a little support to the notion that the factory might have paid for a singer to entertain the workers.

Or, maybe Lewis was a bit of a wag and described himself as a singer because he sang a lot as he worked.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Well it does look like singer :)
    And it's not mentioned in this list.

7. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

It is in this list though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Sue_3 I have four lists of occupations and it wasn't listed in any of those, always good to find another one and one with so much detail in it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1