1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Shayne, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Shayne

Shayne Member

Don't be fooled by the name! There are about 1 million BMD scanned records for Nova Scotia on this site. The original is free to view. You can purchase copies for genealogical purposes.

After you enter a name in the search area, you are taken to the Terms and Conditions section. This is quite extensive and provides information about copyright, protection of your information, downloading, etc. I had a quick read through it and didn't find anything that caused me alarm. But, don't take my word for it. Please read the Terms and Conditions so you understand what you are agreeing to.

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/

2. Robertb

Robertb LostCousins Member

In my most recent use of that site to check the marriage registrations against those posted on the Cape Breton Genealogical & Historical Assoc., I found that their search engine was completely ineffective for searching for the male person involved in the marriage, but worked reasonably well for the bride's name. You will also find it a bit challenging when searching for the "Mc" & "Mac" surnames as the index frequently uses the "Mac" prefix when the original record was "Mc". The best solution to that problem is to select the "contains" option, rather than the default "starts with" one and then just use the part of the surname that follows the "Mc" or "Mac" - or even just a portion of the remaining surname.

• Agree Agree x 1