1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Notts Catalogues and other useful websites

Discussion in 'More Nottinghamshire Resources' started by Freckneale, May 5, 2013.

1. Freckneale

Freckneale Member

Rather than make a new thread for each link below I thought it would be more helpful to include them together. These are just a few of the most helpful Notts resources that I use regularly.

Nottinghamshire Archives
    On this site there is a catalogue of most records held at Nottingham, including a detailed list of parish register holdings.

Nottinghamshire Archives Catalogue
    Many of the documents held at the Archives are indexed here. It's especially useful for finding wills. It is a bit tricky to search until you get used to it, so try just entering a surname.

University of Nottingham
    Many records are held at the university. There are some interesting special collections such as Laxton: Living in an open field village.

University of Nottingham Catalogue
    Excellent for searching marriage bonds, archdeaconry presentments, etc. Some of the presentments are abstracted in full here.

Bassetlaw Museum
    This is an excellent resource for North Nottinghamshire (Worksop and Retford), particularly the Welchman Archive of local photographs which you can view online.

Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project
    Here you will find an extensive information about many churches in Nottinghamshire.

I hope you find these useful.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've tidied up the post and changed the links so that the URL isn't trailing the text but is instead a click able link on the name of the site. Many thanks for the links and it would be appreciated it if you could follow this style of link in future posts.

3. Freckneale

Freckneale Member

Hi Alexander,

Sorry for doing the links incorrectly. This perhaps is not the best place to post this, but as it's been brought up...The only reason why I did it like I did was because the URLs were not particularly long and unwieldy, and I like to know what website I'm going to when I click a link. This can be achieved by hovering over the inline links and looking at the tiny URL that appears in the bottom corner of my screen, but it is a bit of a pain in my opinion. For example, the links Lost Cousins and Lost Cousins look the same, but they're not. However, I will try my best to follow the rules from now on. ;)

Thanks,
    Alexander

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Alexander. Peter is keen for the site to have a standard look and feel and part of this is consistent looking links, thus we "tidy up" links when we find the posts. I concur with the checking a link before clicking however even the URL style links aren't immune to that its easy to create a URL style link then change where that points to so the user may think they are going to the site typed in the URL but actually they are not.

Your comment has prompted me however to update the guidance for moderators to remind them to check for this sort of issue with links.