1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

No body found - death certificate?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Leona5329, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Leona5329

Leona5329 LostCousins Member

I have an incidence of two ancestors drowning in 1874 - a mother and son. Witnesses saw the mother jump into a freezing river to rescue her son. The child's body was washed up a few days later downstream but the mother's body was never found. There was a newspaper article with the story, hence how I found out the details. There was an inquest and death by drowning was the cause of death for the 8 year old boy.

My question is - would there be a death certificate issued for the mother? Is there a 'presumption of death' as there is now and would it be the same period of time - I believe it is 7 years at this time?

Thanks,
    Leona

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

A death certificate is only issued when there is a body. In England there is no automatic presumption of death after a certain period, but since 2014 it has been possible to apply to the court after 7 years, or earlier if there is evidence that the person has died - you'll find more information here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Leona5329

Leona5329 LostCousins Member

From the link then I can assume there will be no death certificate for her. Luckily the inquest gives me enough detail for the family tree.