1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

New TV program from Ancestry

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by AdrienneQ, Nov 4, 2017.

1. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Just got an email about a new program
    The Secrets In My Family

Every family has secrets, but some are hidden deeper than others.

A brand new six-part TV show, hosted by Alex Jones of The One Show, combines genealogy with ground-breaking DNA technology to delve deep into the family history of ordinary people to reveal secrets that have been hidden for years.

Mondays at 9 pm from 6 November on W Channel, brought to you by AncestryDNA®.

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Other than Sky or Virgin, can this be viewed elsewhere ? i.e. Freeview. Suppose it could find it's way to Youtube.....

3. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Wikipedia says
    W is a British general entertainment channel broadcasting in the United Kingdom and Ireland, as part of the UKTV network.
    Virgin TV Anywhere: Watch live (UK only)
    Sky Go: Watch live (UK and Ireland only)
    Sky: Channel 109 (SD/HD); Channel 213 (+1); Channel 245 (SD)
    TalkTalk TV: Channel 311
    Virgin Media Ireland: Channel 512
    Virgin Media: Channel 125; Channel 131 (+1); Channel 191 (HD)
    Formerly called: Watch (2008–16)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

You can also get it on Kodi set top boxes that have the UKTV viewer installed, you can then watch it live online. I am not sure if this a legal method or something I got from the darkweb.

5. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Oh dear Rhian, what do you get up to?

6. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

Hehe, if it is illegal, immoral or makes me fat I give it a try. In this case it seems that the UKTV addon is supported by UKTV, so is currently legal.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I read recently about someone being convicted of selling Kodi boxes, so I would recommend steering clear.

8. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Amazon sell them so I'm unsure whether they are illegal. It's certainly not illegal to use them.

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

As far as I can see Amazon don't sell them, at least not in the UK. But there is a third party seller on Amazon offering them, though probably not for much longer as earlier this year Amazon stated:

"Products offered for sale on Amazon should not promote, suggest the facilitation of, or actively enable the infringement of or unauthorised access to digital media or other protected content.

“Any streaming media player or other device that violates this policy is prohibited from sale on Amazon.”

It's not illegal to use them so long as you aren't circumventing restrictions on copyrighted material. But I suspect that few people who buy one are going to be that honest, and people who sell them certainly aren't honest, judging from the recent decision of the European Court of Justice.

10. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

11. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

There is currently a UK court case in process, the seller of boxes welcomes this as it will clarify that he is not doing anything illegal.
    Kodi is a software product that is legal, I run it on my desktop to manage my media, there are thousands of plugins that extend Kodi, some allow users to access subscription services for free, a lot just integrate your paid subscription channels into the Kodi media manager.
    The boxes to avoid are the 'fully loaded' ones as they are liable to contain illegal links. Kodi itself is totally legal, and they work to prevent illegal addons, netflix and Amazon use kodi in some of their products.

12. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Back to the original subject - I didn't find the program very interesting.
    Not much factual information and I didn't see much use of DNA as used in family history research.

• Agree Agree x 1