1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Naturalized

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Heatherblether, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

You learn something new everyday!

I knew that women generally gave up their money, name and profession on marriage but seeing that a relative was naturalized was a new to me.

Sophia was born of British parents in 1844 and married a German in 1866 - their first child born 2 years later, the first of 9. In 1900 she became a widow. I am not aware of anytime abroad. In 1915 she is naturalized as she is 'German by marriage' and now a widow, she names her parents and they stated as British- looking through some further pages she was not only one.

Indeed from this quick look (this is by no means an exhaustive study!!) there are more widows of British heritage who had married foreign-born people than there are foreigners seeking to become naturalized

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1