1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

National Archives of Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Heilan Lass, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Heilan Lass

Heilan Lass LostCousins Member

If you are researching ancestry in Canada from outside that country, the Library and Archives Canada website is a very useful starting point:-

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-906-e.html

Also, a simple Google search for BMDs in a particular territory can take you to some useful links e.g. I was looking for a relative's death in Manitoba so keyed in "Manitoba BMD records" and almost the first link that appeared was for a free searchable database of BMDs (one of the most user-friendly databases I've used).

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

LAC is now about half way through reviewing and digitising all their WWI soldier records. They also have a very lively blog which they update with references to materials in their complete collection. Of interest to anyone with connections to WWI is a recent blog on the Battle of Jutland.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Hot off the press from LAC " The new database, now called “Personnel Records of the First World War”, provides access to the service files of members of Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) along with records for other First World War personnel.
    The new database includes records for the following groups:
    • Canadian Expeditionary Force
    • Imperial War Service Gratuities recipients
    • Non-Permanent Active Militia
    • Rejected CEF volunteers
    • Royal Newfoundland Regiment and Forestry Corps
    Discover the Personnel Records of the First World War collection today!"
    The CEF files are still being reviewed and the next three data bases are not digitised or scanned. The last data base is accessed via an external link.

5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Another useful resource from LAC is a PDF of the starting service number for each regiment. I used this very successfully for a soldier where there was no scanned record package attached to his attestation papers. Having determined the regiment he was assigned when he enlisted I could check the war diaries and then look for the soldier with the service number preceding and following his number. Both had attached records so I was able to make some educated guesses about my man. Just a reminder that Commonwealth soldiers were often moved through a variety of regiments and have more than one service number.

• Useful Useful x 1