1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My 3 x great aunts.

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by kiwilong, Jun 28, 2020.

1. kiwilong

kiwilong LostCousins Member

Hello all.
    I wonder if I may find some help finding 3 x 3 great aunts.
    My 3 x great grand parents, Jonathan and Mary Ogden baptised six children at Manchester Cathedral.
    3 were males and all easily traced in records, John, David (my 2 x great grandfather) and Jonathan who died aged 4 months old.
    The girls however don't appear to get married or even die. Following is what I know of them:-
    Mary baptised 25th Dec 1819. No further records.
    Martha baptised 20th Oct 1822 and who appears in the 1841 census with parents and younger sister. Note that in this record Martha is named incorrectly as Matilda. No further records found.
    Elizabeth baptised 1st Jan1826 and appears in the 1841 census and again in 1851 census with widowed mother and eldest brother, John W Ogden. No further records found for Elizabeth.
    When the baptisms took place Jonathan was a Dyer but by 1841 was a School Master which apparently was quite possible.
    When the 2 boys married they named their father as Jonathan and a School Master. When Jonathan died Mary stated his occupation as formally a Dyer.
    I've searched for marriages, deaths and census records for the 3 girls without success. It seems unlikely that all 3 emigrated but with my limited experience searching passenger lists in the first half of the 1800's no luck anyway.
    A DNA test with Ancestry has been a great success with several of my brick walls but not with the "Aunts".
    Any ideas and assistance would be great.
    Thanks.
    kiwilong.

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi kiwilong, I had a quick look for you but nothing found yet. Question... who are David 24, Martha 22 and William Ogden 10months living next door to Jonathan and family in 1841?

3. kiwilong

Hello Heather.

To answer your question.
    David is the elder brother of the 3 Aunts and my 2 x great grandfather, Martha his wife and their first born was William Henry. David was born and baptised 1817.
    The eldest child was John born 1815 and the youngest, Jonathan who died as a baby.
    Thanks for your interest.
    kiwilong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
  4. Heather

Hi kiwilong, I have had another look at this without much success, I think I have found David 1817 in 1841,1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 so another question, if I have found the correct one, who is Sarah Street described as sister-in law in a couple of the census returns? As for the three girls there are lots of marriages that could be them but it would mean looking at each one within a certain time bracket and then searching for them in a census with their "married" name, which would take time but may deliver you a brick wall demolition if you are prepared to do it, good luck.

5. kiwilong

Thanks Heather.
    Yes David is well documented although he died in 1873. His first wife, Martha, died in a Manchester workhouse in 1859. David had 4 children with Martha the last in 1846 and the first and last of these four were still living with David when he was busy having 5 children with Mary Street who he finally married in 1863. Of the 5 children born to Mary, the first was in 1849 and the last was in 1859.
    Sarah Street was Mary Street's sister who strangely enough helped unravel David's extramarital affair.
    As far as the sisters are concerned they have very common names but their father was a school master and searching for marriages with a father Jonathan and a school master produces only the two, John and David. So I had thought that if the girls married they would have recorded their father's name and occupation. Still, perhaps not, if they married when David was dead maybe didn't bother with occupation.
    I have to say however that it seems unlikely that all 3 girls emigrated and therefore probably did marry.
    Anyway, thank you for your interest and efforts, much appreciated.
    kiwilong.

6. Heather

Hi kiwilong, sorry that I couldn't find what happened to the three sisters, if it's any consolation there is a public tree on Ancestry for a Whittaker family which has the Ogden family in it and it has no information about the girls either, but maybe on second thoughts this could be your tree ? if not it may be worth a look.

7. kiwilong

Thank you for trying anyway Heather.
    The Whittaker tree is managed by my second cousin, once removed. We have swopped info over the years.
    In a way it's good to have another opinion.
    Using the father's name and occupation doesn't bring up any possibles marriages for them. Time to have another look at the GRO death records. Ages at death are notoriously unreliable.
    Cheers.
    kiwilong.