1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mother's maiden surname

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Stephen L, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

The new GRO indexes as described in the Lost Cousins Newsletter of 4th November are clearly going to be very useful.

They will enable us to check all the probable relatives that we have identified in the indexes of births. Typically these are family members that we have found in the censuses (and maybe baptism registers) that appear to have been born in the expected registration district at about the right time but for whom we probably never will spend money on purchasing the birth certificate.

I do keep a record of the year, quarter, district, volume, page for such people in the research notes field in my family history program. For those born in or after 1912 that includes mother's maiden surname.

After finding people in the new GRO birth index I could just add mother's maiden surname into my research notes field but I would like to keep track of people for whom I have checked this new source of information.

Would the best approach be to create a new Custom Fact for Mother's Maiden Surname?

How could I then use Family Tree Analyser to report on people for whom I have recorded this new fact and those for whom I still need to check?

Thanks in anticipation of some help on this question. I think such an approach could be useful for many other researchers.

Stephen

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

If you create a custom fact then in FTA you will be able to see and filter by this custom fact.