1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

More Marriage records

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Val, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Val

Val LostCousins Star

This post is nothing to do with the above posts, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

I have just found a very 'interesting' marriage / marriages.
    My 3rd cousin 2x removed was born as George Fred Austen to mother Margaret Austen.
    His mother married William Webb when he was about 2, but William died shortly after the marriage and Margaret went on to marry John Burgess when he was about 3.

In the 1881 census he is George Webb; in the 1891 census he is George Burgess.

Then in 1897 he joins the Militia and then the Army - as George Frederick Burgess, he has a long (22 years) career in the army earning several medals in the Boer War, but that is unimportant for this discussion.

On the 10 Feb 1904 he married Bessie Eliza Roberts at Enmore Green, Dorset (I have the marriage PR and the marriage GRO index) using the name George Frederick Austin and giving his father as William Frank Austin, deceased. Not unusual to 'make up' a father in his position, nor unusual to mis-spell his surname with an 'i' rather than an 'e'.

But his Army records state that he married Bessie Eliza Roberts on the 12 Dec 1905 at Boscombe, Hampshire - the GRO confirms this marriage as well, but as George Frederick Burgess.

My guess is that in order for the Army to recognise his marriage he had to re-marry using the name Burgess rather than Austin/Austen. I haven't got the marriage certificate for this '2nd' marriage, so don't know if he stated he was a bachelor or not, but Bessie uses her maiden name in the GRO for this second marriage.

Has anyone else come across this scenario? Would be interested in any feedback on this.
    Thanks
    Val

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The thing to do in that case Val is to click "Start new discussion". I've taken the liberty of splitting it off from the previous post as, as you mention, it's not really linked.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It could be 2 different people.

But yes, I have instances of children's surnames changing between censuses and marriages etc.

And in a very bizzare tree I did for a friend, the censuses for a whole family (many different brothers etc) were in one surname, but all the BMD's were in another.

4. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I have a family that swung back and forth between Shepherd and Hannah as a surname (and yes, they include a Hannah Hannah)...
    But I think Val may be right in that it was regularising things for the Army - Bessie wouldn't get her wife's allowance if not in the name they were expecting.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

The answer isn't the answer until all other probabilities have been eliminated :)

• Agree Agree x 1