1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mistakes and statistics

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Jeremy Wilkes, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

If I am entering a new household from the 1881 census, then I generally do this using Ancestry. I bring up the transcript, enter the reference and then the head of the household. Next I click the grey arrow to check the reference, and then I add the rest of the household. Before I finish I do a quick visual check of what I have entered against the transcription.

And therein lies the problem - although the head of the household is shown in the transcription with both a year and an age, the rest are shown with just an age. So I have then have to calculate the approximate year to see if I've entered the ages correctly.

Does that help explain things?

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I do the same as you, Pauline, and agree with your comments about year/age shown on the Ancestry transcription. However, the following earlier comment in this discussion worries me a little:
    On checking my entries for the 1881 census, I have occasionally spotted a discrepancy in the transcribed surname at FMP compared to Ancestry. In such cases, I haven't changed it but kept the Ancestry version - but perhaps I shouldn't have done? Of course, I can't remember which particular entries this applies to and I don't fancy going back and checking them all again! I'd appreciate some advice on this one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The Ancestry version is the original LDS transcription, so that's the one to use. But there are very few differences in the Findmypast version, and in almost every case the match wouldn't be missed even if your cousin used the FMP version.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1