1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Missing in 1911

Discussion in 'Advanced techniques for experienced users' started by Emma, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Emma

Emma Member

I had been trying to find an ancestor in the 1911 census but had no success searching for his full correct name, various alternative surnames and just with either first name or surname. I decided to try an address search using the address from the 1901 census. This was just a street name which then didn't appear as a search result. As it was Lane I thought it might form part of a larger street (this is just a street in a small town in Devon) so I started to look at the households shown. After checking a couple I decided to look at the heading stating "Related images" this brought up amongst other options a list made by the enumerator of the properties visited and the names of the head of the household. Lo and behold the first name listed was the one I was looking for - transcribed as Furyland instead of Furzland - an alternative I hadn't thought of. So it's certainly worth considering looking at these lists when searching as the enumerator's handwriting is usually quite good.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I don't recommend trying to guess how an enumerator might have mistranscribed a census entry, nor how an transcriber might have misinterpreted it - it's usually better to use wildcards.

3. Is this in FMP? It doesn't seem to be in Ancestry.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You'll find the 1911 Summary Books at Ancestry here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1