1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Migration from Cambridgeshire to Australia around 1825 -1835?

Discussion in 'Australia - More resources' started by Britjan, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Can anybody tell me if there was a particular reason for the migration that appears to have taken place around these dates. Since there is no Australian census I can reference on LC it's a major stumbling block in tracing Lost Cousins who migrated . I have had some luck on other sites but the "quality" of the contact is generally poor. I am interested in why some of my Stubbing (should have been called Stubborn;) ) family stayed while a lot moved to Australia. I know there was a mass movement from East Anglia to Canada and then the US around this time due to crop failures but I don't know how widespread it was.

2. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

I think it was push factors more than pull in this period. There were the changes happening in agriculture in Britain that caused more unemployment/poverty leading people to migrate.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

There are some census records for Australia on Ancestry, especially for New South Wales and there are electoral rolls for other states, which may help you. Entering "Stubbing" in the search box brings up 94 entries but only one in the 1800's.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Britjan, I imagine that they would have come to New South Wales (not sure just when other States "opened up") so why not have a look at NSW BDM and try the name. If there are any included there, we could follow it up this end. Victoria also has BDMs, you have to pay but maybe a worthwhile exercise. Let me know the outcome.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Thanks everybody, I should have mentioned that the Stubbing clan who moved appear all to have been married at the time. I am not sure as yet if any were still Stubbing by name! I entered a few names from those remaining in the Cambridge area at LC and have just got a new LC contact who lives in Australia. I hope that, although she is likely only a very distant cousin by marriage, she can shed some light on her family's journey. Another part of my family were mariners and sailed to Australia several times in the 1820- 1830's so I'd love to make that connection. I did a bit more digging and found that one of the family who moved was as a result of her husband's conviction so I have to look into that. Considering that at one time I considered emigrating to Australia myself I am very hazy on exactly the stages in which the continent was settled.

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I just wanted to come back to comment that thanks to the "faraway places" discussion I took a look at the British History Online accounts of all the Cambridgeshire villages/parishes that are most associated with my extended family in that period. It is a complicated narrative and pays equal tribute to those who managed to tough it out and stay and those who ventured away from the county or the country whether or not of their own free will. I am sure nearly every agricultural county has some of the same common themes so once again I raise a glass of "home brewed" to our "ag lab" ancestors.

7. Ian

Ian Member

Interestingly I have a Scottish family (Mum, Dad & 4 kids) travelling to London in 1921 to board a ship and emigrate to New Zealand (according to the ship's log). They got off at Sydney NSW and settled there. No idea why they left Scotland or why, if my interpretation of the log is correct, they disembarked early.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I.
    More recently, early 1970s, my sister and brother in law set off for N Z via Australia. They also disembarked in NSW, where they stayed and made their fortune

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Please let us know their secret;) (Have lived in NSW all my life but certainly don't have a fortune)!

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

My brother in law (formerly my best mate) built up and recently sold a successful I.T. business.