1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Methods of Checking All My Ancestors have been added to Lost Cousins

Discussion in 'Advanced techniques for experienced users' started by Jacqueline, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

There is so much discussion here over 3 pages that I am blinded with science and don't know where to start checking my entries since Peter tells me there are loads more I can put in! Is there an idiot's guide to all this? Which of Alexander's versions should I attempt to work with? Is there going to be a simple way for all Forum members including those who join later to do their checking?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

This discussion has been helping the program to evolve. I'm hoping that very soon a dedicated discussion will be started in the "Utilities to download" section, which should be clearer to follow for everyone.

The latest version is V1.5.0.0 and it can be downloaded here.

3. Jacqueline

Thanks, Tim. I'll consult son no. 1 about how to proceed!

4. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Jacquline
    This is what I do - hope this helps

Create a Folder to contain the program
    Open a window to show this folder (it will be empty)​
    Download the program FTAnalyzer
    It downloads as a zipped file​
    Open the zipped file (how you do this depends on your software)​
    Copy/drag all the items in the zipped file into the folder you created​
    If a new version of the program comes out just copy/over-right the items already in the folder​
    In your family tree program export a GEDCOM file
    Click on FTAnalyzer.exe in the folder you created
    Click on File>>Open​
    Find your exported GEDCOM file​
    Click on the file -it should now upload​
    This only takes a few seconds for my 5420 individuals​
    Hopefully you will see a message "Gedcom File Loaded"​
    If it has been successful you will see how many records it has loaded in various categories​
    You should now be able to use the Tabs to look at your data

5. Jacqueline

Thanks Adrienne, printed out so I can follow step-by-step instructions.

6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I suspect we need to create a proper documentation, help guide for the program. Up till recently it's largely been a few dedicated users that have used the program and so certain things have just been assumed. Now with a wider audience the time has come to do some proper documentation/help guides. Can anyone assist with this? I can write a lot of it but a perspective of an end user may help as I will have a tendency to gloss over things that are obvious to me due to familiarity whereas a fresh pair of eyes will spot stuff needing explanation.

Jacqueline if you do have a problem let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Jacqueline, there are other ways of increasing the number of entries - when I get a chance I'll post my paper and pencil technique, which is something anyone can use. Although the aim is the same - to produce more entries and more matches - it starts from the other end, ie your My Ancestors page, rather than your tree (and as such complements Alexander's program).

8. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Documentation - yes please, Alexander. I'm struggling to get result from the programme and I don't know whether it's my FH programme or my use of it. For examples, how is census information recognised? How is a LC entry flagged? I'm very happy to help debug the documentation (although response time can vary)

Another tip (speaking as one who hasn't yet done it:oops:) is to add *all* the people in a household - it may be that the lodger's family stayed friends with the hosts and know more about them.

9. Jacqueline

I am happy to be one of your "end users" Alexander. If I can do it, anyone can! Next 2 days hospital appointments. I'll have a go folowing Adrienne's advice on Thurs unless Peter's paper and pencil technique appears in the meantime. I know you spend a lot of time twiddling your thumbs, waiting for something useful to do, Peter. (Jacqueline ducks...).

10. Alexander Bisset

Census information is recognised via CENS or RESI (census or residence) tags in the GEDCOM file. These are the official tags as part of the 5.5 GEDCOM official specification. How closely your software adheres to the specification will determine whether or not it puts these tags in the file. You can open your GEDCOM in a text editor such as notepad and do a search for CENS or RESI it will be something like this...

Code:
    0 @I4581@ INDI
    1 NAME Agnes /Bisset/
    2 SOUR @S284@
    2 SOUR @S5@
    1 SEX F
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE 05 MAR 1870
    2 PLAC St.Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland
    2 SOUR @S284@
    2 SOUR @S5@
    1 CENS
    2 DATE 1881
    2 PLAC 11 Berry Lane, Aberdeen, Scotland
    2 SOUR @S5@
    1 DEAT
    2 DATE BET 1881 AND 1980
    1 FAMC @F1336@

the first number in the line indicates the "level" and the second part is the code for that level. In this case 1 CENS has a line 2 with a code of DATE and a value of 1881.

An LC entry is flagged via a custom tag, how this is created will vary by software. Which family history program do you use?

11. mowsehowse

mowsehowse LostCousins Member

I use my pc to find information but have all my research on paper - Oh dear!!! (YES.... I know!!) So I am looking forward to Peter's paper and pencil method.

12. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

How ingenious Alexander is.
    Note however, if you use Legacy Family Tree, there is a similar search inbuilt - even in the free standard edition.
    Also mapping.

13. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You'll find my paper and pencil technique here. It may be simplistic, but I've done it hundreds of times (for different members) so I know it works.

14. mowsehowse

mowsehowse LostCousins Member

Brill. Thank you Peter. I will have a go as soon as I am able.

15. AndyMick

Thanks for the info on the census flag.
    I use Generations 8 (rather old and outdated - like me:)). I use custom flags to show which censuses and which LC censuses I've done.
    I'm familiar with Gedcom, so I can try and do a batch edit to convert to the proper format.

On your census page, some entries show in red - what's different about them?

16. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Red ones are your direct ancestors. The white and grey coloured backgrounds denote family groups.

Also, if you hover your cursor over a line, a tooltip comes up with more information.

17. AndyMick

DOH! Should have noticed that! Thanks Tim.

18. Alexander Bisset

Don't worry Andy. Tim asked the same question last week. :)

For the GEDCOM entries. The Lost Cousins custom tag should look like ... (EVEN being the GEDCOM official tag for a custom "Event")
    Code:
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Lost Cousins
    2 DATE 1841

Where the date is the specific census. Note a single individual may have several Lost Cousins tags if they happen to appear on several census. eg: born 1840 appear on 1841, still around in 1881 and 1911 and on those census.

19. AndyMick

Excellent - I should be able to mass edit my "_l81" flag to the EVENt format.
    I'll report back in due course.
    Many thanks.

20. Jacqueline

Hello Peter, I'm having a compulsory rest after horrid procedure at hosp. so have done pencil and paper method - not many gaps evident because I triple checked when I entered them, but will check again after this. There are two brick walls at great grandparents nos 10 and 11 so that creates 4 gaps in gt x 2 etc. ond so on.
    Qu. "If you haven't entered the Ancestor numbers...do it now...". Where is the correct place to do this? on the box of 200 characters in further info or have I missed a box for the Ancestor no.?