1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Methods of Checking All My Ancestors have been added to Lost Cousins

Discussion in 'Advanced techniques for experienced users' started by Jacqueline, Apr 25, 2013.

1. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I have tested out using the Lost cousins Tag in FTM on 2 members of one family . After re- extracting the GEDCOM they were removed from the census list, however I also lost their baby Sarah (who I did not tag).

Any thoughts?
    I have attached data from the first pull and relevant portions of the second GEDCOM

1841 F381 Caroline Johnson (Biddulph) - Wife- Direct Ancestor - 63
    1841 F381 John Johnson - Husband - Direct Ancestor - 62
    1841 F381 Sarah Ann Johnson - Child - Blood Relation

1 CENS
    2 DATE 1841
    2 PLAC Tong, Shropshire, England

1 RESI
    2 DATE 1841
    2 PLAC Tong, Shropshire, England
    2 SOUR @S15@
    3 PAGE Database online. Class: HO107; Piece 909; Book: 15; Civil Parish:
    4 CONC Tong; County: Shropshire; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 7; Page: 7;
    4 CONC Line: 18; GSU roll: 474584.
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Record for Sarah Johnson
    3 OBJE @M449@

1 FAMC @F381@

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

There should be 3 dates in the Loose Death report. Birth Date, Death date and "Loose Death" date. The latter one is typically a between date using known alive dates eg:date of marriage, census, childrens birth (date for women, 9 months before for men) and any upper death date you've entered or 110 years after birth. Thus indicating a potential narrowing of death dates to enter.

Oh yeah there isn't a print option there. Oops I'll add one.

3. Alexander Bisset

Not sure might Sarah now only show up as a family by herself or with her husband? I'll need to recheck the logic as to how it determines if it should ignore children with parents.

To clarify, did you mean Sarah no longer shows up on the 1841 census record page or no longer shows up on the 1841 Lost Cousins list?

The census record page is a list of people who should be alive on the census date who you have yet to enter a census record for. If you have entered Sarah's census but not tagged her for Lost Cousins she will disappear from the census list but should still be on the Lost Cousins list. As she has an 1841 census but isn't tagged as being entered on the Lost Cousins website.

4. Alexander Bisset

I've found the bug that was treating children of families you tagged who married before the census as having been already entered in Lost Cousins. This should now mean that Sarah re-appears in the new version 1.4.1.0 that I released this evening.

I also added a new default option to ignore countries if they typically don't exist in the GEDCOM file. Several people who have found issues and supplied test GEDCOMs have locations with just the town name or just the town and county name but no country name included. With the old version the program couldn't then work out if someone should be on the England and Wales census as it didn't know if they were living in England and Wales at the time as no country was entered. Now the new option simply doesn't check for country.

This does mean that it will suggest someone to be entered into Lost Cousins if they are on a census of that year but it won't differentiate between different countries census in that year eg: England & Wales vs Scotland vs Canada 1881 census, buttons will show everyone in the 1881 census. This is the compromise if your file doesn't have locations entered.

The nett effect of the changes in v1.4.1.0 is that it should now display a lot more possible cousins to enter onto the Lost Cousins site.

5. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Sorry she is still missing. On doing more testing, with her and another two families it seems that setting a Lost cousins flag for any ONE member of a family removes the complete family. Not sure if this is still the original problem or a new feature

6. Alexander Bisset

Version 1.4.3.0 is now released. This now includes a fix for the missing people thanks for the assistance in fixing this. A new feature in v1.4.3.0 is the ability to list all the occupations in your file and then double click on an occupation to see all the people in your file who have that occupation. Thanks to Tim for suggesting this.

In trying the occupations out in my file I've found LOTS of mis-spelt occupations and subtly different variations of recording the same occupation. I suspect a lot of search replace will be happening this weekend to standardise the occupations in my file.

7. Alexander Bisset

I use the program as an iterative process. I run the Census 1841 report which shows me who I've still to find in 1841 census. I then enter those details which of course often throws up new children or extra information, or find new other families (extra family in house, married children etc etc). Once I've done a census for 1841, I enter them to Lost Cousins and flag those people as entered. I then re-export and check the 1881 census report in FTAnalyzer to find any of the 1841 children now married as adults on the 1881 census. I repeat the process for 1881 children on the 1911 census.

I also find them on in between census too of course which will throw up extra people and new marriages etc. As a result I'm switching between finding people on a census and entering them to Lost Cousins. I then use the other reports in FTAnalyzer to see if I've got any data errors, bad location names, "loose" deaths etc.

Finding people on a census of course often allows tracking back in time too and investigating side lines there, which will show up more people on the 1841 census and repeat cycle.

FTAnalyzer helps show you who you need to find on a census as well as showing who you've already found and need to enter into Lost Cousins.

One of the key things that seems to be highlighted by those people who have been kind enough to assist in testing the program is that they have found hundreds of people they had not previously entered into Lost Cousins but who they had already found on a census. It can be so difficult to work out who you have found on a census by normal means so it seems that is one of the key strengths of the program.

8. Alexander Bisset

I've now released V1.5.0.0 which adds some significant new features. Most significant of which is the ability to view your locations on Google Maps.
    • Locations tab now has a button to view location on Google Map.
      • This uses Google Map's search and so will display the first match for the location, it will highlight if this was a close match or as near as it could make out.
    • All columns in Individuals, Families, Loose Deaths, are now sortable. Clicking one column followed by another achieves an ordered column sort - eg: click surname then forename then date of birth does a sort by surname, forename, date of birth.
    • When sorting all empty columns appear at the end.
    • Initial form load can now be interrupted.
    • Root person can be set by right clicking on an individual in Individuals tab.
    • Various FactLocation Fixes.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  9. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Alexander,

You have excelled yourself!

Amazing, an excellent job. Everybody should try this program.

10. Alexander Bisset

Yes it even manages to work out that "Turpin Gren Lane" (sic) should be "Turpin Green Lane, Leyland, Lancashire, England". Although that's really a data error that should be corrected in the source. :)

It doesn't find "At Sea" though!!

11. Tim

Lol, I tried that one as well!

Maybe the next step is to be able to pick a number of people or places, and have them shown on a map?
    And then pick a person, and have their locations for each census shown on a map, like a timeline, fading from say 1841 to 1851, but leaving the little marker greyed (with 1841 by it) so you can see how people moved through their lives? :)

12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Sounds great! If we can put together a list of programs of family tree programs that it will work well with then we can promote it more widely (with Alexander's permission).

Sadly it won't work for me: it doesn't seem to like the Gedcoms that Genopro outputs, but since it works for Tim (who I believe also uses Genopro) it's probably a result of how I've (mis)used the program.

13. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have used the Alexander's program successfully with Ancestry Gedcoms. I tend to favour Ancestry Gcom outputs because they seem to be universally accepted -including in my own case - Genes, Family Tree Legends and Tribalpages. And of course the same applies to Family Tree Maker for obvious reasons.

14. Tim

Yes, I use GenoPro. There is a new Export to Gedcom skin to download, one that they modified for me so that it produces a CENS data type that is used in the FTAnalyzer program.

However, that shouldn't stop it loading and you should be able to see the list of individuals at least.

Also, I have created 3 custom tags in GenoPro, one for 1841, 1881 and 1911, where I register that I have entered them into LostCousins. This can also be used by the FTAnalyzer program.

GenoPro tips should I guess be started in its own discussion where we can go into detail?

15. Tim

What sort of errors were you getting or where was it failing?

16. Tim

I have successfully created gedcoms from GenoPro which I have uploaded into Ancestry, and any software that produces gedcoms should successfully load. However, not all software is fully compliant as you might think, which was why I had to get GenoPro altered.

17. peter

It loads some data but fails with numerous 'bad pointer' errors. Fortunately I don't really need to use the utility because my research has been LostCousins orientated for many years - so there's not much chance that I've omitted somebody (I enter relatives as I find them on the census). Also the way I've recorded census information in Genopro is unique to me - nobody else would understand it!

18. Tim

Well Alexander will be interested in understanding the bad pointer errors.
    You could still use the custom tags though. Mine are simple, a yes means they've been loaded into that census on LC, a No means they can't be loaded (the census is before they were born or they have died), so I copy all the data into excel and filter on blanks.

19. peter

Thanks, Tim - I'll email an example file to Alexander.

20. Alexander Bisset

Thanks Peter, I'll investigate and get back to you via email when I receive your test file. Are you running the latest v1.5.0.0 there have been huge upgrades to functionality especially displaying errors on load with GenoPro files since Tim assisted with that file format.