1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Meeting 'lost cousins' in the UK when visiting from Canada

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by okanagangal, May 15, 2013.

1. okanagangal

okanagangal New Member

My father was born in Scotland and my mother in England and I have met some cousins in the UK
    In the one case I was contacted by them, otherwise I never would have met them as there was a name change. My mother's maiden name was Clamp, and her father, Richard had a brother Frederick Stanley Clamp. I had traced the rest of the family (all 8 of them) but no luck with Frederick. When my "lost cousin" contacted me via the internet (can't remember which site) it turned out Frederick's son had changed his surname I never would have found it if she had not contacted me. I met her, and her mom and dad when we were in England and they were lovely people.
    >! My other "lost cousin" was an odd one. I had been researching my maternal g/mothers family (Murray) when a friend pointed out to me that a book had been written about my great g/uncle by his grand son, who lived in England. I looked it up on the internet and found an email address for David so wrote him explaining who I was and how we were related. He invited us to his home in London, when we were visiting the UK and autographed the book for me.We still keep in touch occasionally.
    I met another cousin although our connection went further back - on the Scottish side, so spent a couple of great days with them in Gloucestershire.
    I also met a g/daughter of my grandfather's eldest brother in Scotland. She and her son lived in Glasgow - she was 94 at the time we met, and died last year just after her 100th birthday.
    I have also met the g/son of my father's brother, in fact we have met twice in Scotland - he and his wife are delightful people. I am in contact with the g/son of my father's other brother who lives in Northamptonshire, but unfortunately we have not met.
    All the meetings have been most enjoyable and would gladly meet all of them again
    Bev

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bev,

Not that we've actually met, but you haven't mentioned how we "met" through LostCousins. :)

3. okanagangal

okanagangal New Member

Hi Tim, sorry about that :)