1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Married at 14 years old?

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Carla, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I just would like to sound my findings from today, and see if they sound reasonable to everyone, please...

I am researching a direct ancestor George Stanley, born around 1781 in Sutton Mandeville, Wiltshire, having got his particulars from the 1841 census, 1851 census, his marriage information and children's marriages. Obviously I would like to find out more about the family going further back and believe I have found a most probable record of his baptism.

Parish Record Collection - Baptism Record
    Day:12
    Month:Jan
    Year:1780
    Forenames:George
    Surname:STANLEY
    Fathers forenames:George
    Mothers forenames:Sarah
    Birth day:
    Birth month:
    Birth year:
    Abode:
    Place:Sutton Mandeville
    Description:
    County:Wiltshire
    Record source:Wiltshire Baptisms (pre-1852)
    Data provider:Wiltshire Family History Society

As you can see on this record his parents are George and Sarah. I deduced that it seems reasonable for my George to have a father called George? I then looked at parish records on Findmypast and as well as my George, there appears to be four possible siblings of his all with the same parents, in the same village of Sutton Mandeville, within a ten year span.

Then I found a marriage record for a George Stanley and a Sarah Feltham, which is before the first child was baptised in February 1770.

Wiltshire, England, Marriages, 1538-1837 about George Stanley
    Name:George Stanley
    Marriage Date:29 Dec 1768
    Parish:Sutton Mandeville
    Residence:Sutton Mandeville
    Spouse:Sarah Feltham
    Spouse Residence: Of This Parish
    Document Type:Banns

Seems reasonable that they could well be the parents of my George? So off I go to hunt for a Sarah Feltham's birth. This is where I have come unstuck as indeed I have found a record of such a person in Sutton Mandeville.....but she would be 14 when she married.

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 about Sarah Feltham
    Name:Sarah Feltham
    Baptism Date:28 Jun 1754
    Baptism Place:Sutton Mandeville, Wiltshire, England
    FHL Film Number:1279430

What I want to ask is could this be possible? It seems young to me but then again I dont know much about that time. So did women get married that young in those days? I mean this all could be wrong anyway, but still I would like to know :confused:

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

It is indeed possible but what you are forgetting is that a baptism date does not mean a birth date. I've encountered umpteen baptisms where the person being baptised is a young child. Often this is a batch of children from a family being all baptised at the same time. eg: when newly moved to a parish, or a job lot because a change of minister. So perhaps do a children search for siblings of Sarah to see if that might be true in this case.

If she was baptised when she was 4 or 5 for instance then she'd be 18-19 at marriage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. SuzanneD

SuzanneD LostCousins Star

The fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia, confirms that it would have been legally possible but unlikely for Sarah to be only 14 at marriage, as the minimum age was 12 for girls and 14 for boys but early marriage was rare. Assuming you have found the right Sarah, Alexander's explanation is the far more likely one, especially as the dates suggest she probably wasn't pregnant when they married.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Whilst perhaps not a certainty, I would agree with both Alexander & Suzanne that the likelihood of baptism as a young child rather than as a baby is the answer. I too have many, many such baptisms, and in one case where 4 siblings where all baptised at the same time as their newly born brother.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I have many instances where they "batch them up", maybe they got a discount for bulk? :)

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Cheaper By The Dozen?
    I think the clergyman would sometimes do christenings for free, because they were so bothered about the unbaptized youngsters in their parish. I certainly have batch lots in my tree. Actually, both my nephews were 'done' together as small boys, and one was sufficiently confused by it to tell people he met that it was his birthday

7. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I have a case where they were living in the Workhouse and seem to have gone home to get 3 baptised all at once

8. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I just want to let you know that I posted this as a question on the message board at Ancestry/Roots web thingie under Sutton Mandeville in Wiltshire today and had a reply back within two hours with this.....

First name(s):Sarah
    Last nameSTANLEY
    Date of burial:23 Jan 1814
    Age at death:65
    Calculated year of birth:1749
    Place of burial:Sutton Mandeville
    Dedication:All Saints
    County:Wiltshire
    Notes:
    Sutton Mandeville All Saints
    Denomination:Anglican

It is the same date of death I had, but the kind lady obviously had more details available than I did. The birth year is more in line with the marriage thank goodness, so maybe she did indeed get baptised when she was a few years old?

9. Bob Spiers

...or in my ancestor’s case perhaps just remission of sentence from being thrown out of his Baptist Chapel?

The Minutes of the Chapel Committee Meetings c1819 (held by the Elders) record several mentions of my ancestor (and his spouse). Mostly for non or irregular attendance ‘failure to fill up their place’ and asks friends to visit (to have a word with them). Similarly neglect in having subsequent children baptised – other than their first born. (No doubt accounting for the multiple baptisms)

He appears to have survived another two years when the Minutes of 1821 show him excluded from the Chapel with the charge “non attendance and charging the scriptures with absurdity” (don’t ask). Three months later his wife is also excluded for non-attendance.

Post script: 26 years later his wife dies and he re-marries her widowed sister. This was quite a taboo thing at the time and would not have gone down at all well with the Chapel Elders had either been members. (Funeral services for all were held in (Conformist) C of E churches)

10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like my kinda guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bob Spiers

...and mine too, not just because we are talking about a paternal 2 x GGF. He sired 10 children by his first wife, 7 of whom survived and are named in his will.

He was a Cabinet Maker by trade, surviving to 73 and outliving his second wife by 3 years. Of the 7 surviving children, one of course became a GGF (another Cabinet Maker), and another son made quite a name for himself as a Surgical Truss Manufacturer with his own patents.

But we must not forget the black sheep, a son sentenced to transportation to Van Diemen’s land (Tasmania) for larceny (stealing a tortoise shell comb). After serving a comparative short sentence (transportation was being phased out) he settled in Victoria and became a prominent fishmonger with land and property. He too sired a dynasty -one of whom (a daughter) – reached the amazing age of 105 and others well into their 80’s.

So hats’ off to both great x 2 grandparents and I don’t think either were too troubled by being ostracised from the Chapel. I am intrigued to know how Daniel ‘charged the scriptures with absurdity’ but perhaps it is best I don’t know.

12. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

How interesting. I think you can get a real insight into your ancestor's outlook on life from that. I must admit I did giggle although it was probably quite a serious thing to have happened.

13. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

When I googled "charging scriptures with absurdity" I got the linked hit and three more like it, and a link to Bob's posting on the forum ;) Do you suppose your ancestor quoted the good preacher James Purves who coined the phrase and that's what got him into trouble? Seriously though Chapel Committee minute books are news to me so thank you for the insight.o

14. Bob Spiers

Yes I am indebted (note Britjan) to a lady in Canada (before the Forum I have to say) who learned I was researching her ancestor (actually her husbands but no matter) through her Nephew in England a fellow Ancestry researcher. He advised she was interested in making contact and would I mind if he passed on my email; it was to prove a most beneficial contact.

During our exchanges I learned she had a copy of the last Will & Testament of my 2x GGF and of the Minutes of the Baptist Chapel where the family worshipped. She said it contained some interesting stuff', as indeed it did. In return I was able to fill her in on the son who was transported and pass on newspaper reports of his trial. She later sent me photos of family members.

It a wonderful lesson in genuine symbiotic research relationships (that's quite a mouthful) which although few and far between, are wonderful when they occur.

• Agree Agree x 4