1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage Locator Website

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Mitch_in_Notts, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

I have always found the Marriage Locator site useful and so far never wrong.
    A search for the marriage of Jane Elizabeth S BOLLAERT - 1884 Q1, vol 1b, page 855, Holborn.
    The marriage locator returns "St Mary, Stoke Newington, Hackney Registration District".
    I have viewed the St Mary Marriage Register and, as expected, the marriage isn't there as it's the wrong district. Nor is the other marriage on page 855 contained in the St Mary register.
    Any thoughts on what would cause the 'error?' - and any idea how to report it to the website?

Regards

Mitch

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I can't reproduce the error - the page range for St Mary, Stoke Newington for that quarter is 623-630.

EDIT: you may have inadvertently entered the quarter as 4 - this correctly returns St Mary for page 855.

I can't say that I've found the Marriage Locator particularly useful in recent years, partly because of the limited coverage - but if anyone wants to try it here's a link.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Thank you Peter. Yes, despite supposedly double checking, this idiot had inadvertently entered the quarter as 4 rather than 1. Embarrassed red face.
    I do find the Marriage Locator normally quite useful for London marriages and occasionally have luck or guidance for elsewhere in the country.
    On this occasion it has actually failed to produce any result, not even a 'located between' suggestion for the Holborn marriage.