1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage entry twice

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by sunflower, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, and I suspect that the Clough family were not without it either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rianan

Rianan LostCousins Member

My Irish great great grandparents married twice in Kildare – 4th October 1847 in an RC church (she was Catholic) and 4th November 1847 in a C of E cathedral (he was Protestant). Keeping both sets of family happy? I admire their determination to marry in those times – it must have been difficult. The children were brought up Catholic and my great grandmother also married a protestant (only one marriage here as far as I know). Her daughter did the same but her choice was not so happy – he left her and became a bigamist (a whole other story)!

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Prior to the introduction of civil registration in England it was usual for Catholic couples to have two marriage ceremonies, one in their own church, and one in the parish church - only the second ceremony would have had any legal standing. I don't know what the legal situation was in Ireland, but I imagine that Catholic marriages would have been legal given the large Catholic population. In 1845 civil registration commenced in Ireland for non-Catholic marriages, so I suspect that only the second marriage was registered. That may also have been a factor in their decision to have a second ceremony.

You might also want to check that your assumption about the relationship between the Protestant and Catholic communities is correct.

4. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

While there were penal acts against Roman Catholics in Ireland, they were less severe than in England, and aimed at excluding them from official posts and owning land. Unlike England, the religion itself was not criminalised, and its marriages were (always, I think) recognised as valid.

Mixed Protestant/Catholic marriages, however, were explicitly invalid from 1746 to 1870 unless carried out by an Anglican priest. The act that disestablished the (Anglican) Church of Ireland was passed in 1869, so from 1871 its legal status was the same as any other church - thus the marriage law had to be changed. Civil registration of marriages had been extended to RC ceremonies (and all others) in 1864.

As Peter says, having two marriage ceremonies was common is such cases. Since the RC one was not legally recognised, it does not really matter whether it was called a religious marriage or something else (e.g. a blessing).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1