1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

MacKiev, 'Faffing' Family Tree Maker - I've given it a new name

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

If like me, you received an email from 'MacKiev' about updating to their new version of FTM and decided to go with it then I hope you fared better than I did. I have never seen so much 'faffing' about to achieve a result.

Now cards on the table, FTM is a sort of a 'back-up' subsidiary program for me. I have enjoyed Ancestry for years and after reading about FTM virtues in the Forum way back, I decided to invest in FTM 2012 and later upgraded to 2014. I sometimes wonder why as the program never really grabbed me as being superior to what I already had. But with its 'sync' capability it was (virtually) labour free and useful as a look up facility; so it stayed. It sat alongside Ancestry and my much-used Tribal Pages and (on another PC) my old faithful FTL. A sort of belt and braces set up.

I know Ancestry deserted FTM last year and MacKiev took it over still maintaining the 'sync' capability. So the offer of a 'free' MacKiev upgrade (I will return to the 'free' element in a minute) was a "no brainer" because sooner or later it would be essential. I followed the link and proceeded to be interrogated about having a certified copy of FTM and having satisfied on this point, to await emails. One telling me I had purchased FTM for £0.00 (surprise surprise) and another with the link, which I duly tried and the fun began.

Despite 3 attempts (using Chrome) all opened to a page displaying the £0.00 invoice but no sight of a download; so I tried another Browser. This time a download began but took absolutely ages to complete a bit like the old dial up days. Meanwhile I got on with something else. When complete up came a series of pleas to ‘buy something’ (from the MacKiev stable) to make their ‘free’ intention worthwhile. Bypassing these they even had the temerity to offer further inducements to sweeten the ‘free’ upgrade which again I resisted.

The installation began but soon after up popped another message telling me my copy of FTM was not recognised (despite the interrogations). But all was not lost, I could get a replacement copy by clicking another link and then, would you believe (yes you would), I again had to face the exact same interrogations. I nearly abandoned the whole thing but my 'gander' was up but I decided to stay with it and awaited another installation which surprisingly worked and the new MacKiev FTM was installed.

I later discovered that I had 3 FTM downloads shown in the Download folder (so my abortive tries had downloaded, but just hadn’t shown in the Browser) and clearly my copy of the Ancestry FTM 2014 had been legitimate all along. But the hassle had clearly been of MacKiev origins of that there is no doubt.

I ask myself it was it worth the effort and the answer is clearly no; for me at any rate. But there is a small satisfaction of staying the course and outwitting the blighters. I may even use the new FTM in due course when the memory of the download and installation has faded.

2. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hi, I did not go for it and decided to buy Legacy as that had been the first software I used, the free version. I liked Legacy but bought RM for my husband's tree.I have wondered whether I did the right thing but I will sick to my decision. My FTM tree is now out of date and I expect to delete it soon.I have the disc (2012 version) so could re install and use if I wanted to do so.

3. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I, too, downloaded the "updated" 2014.1 update (having previously installed the interim version to see if it cured the memory leak during the sync process - it didn't - the new version seems better with memory, but it hasn't been really taxed yet). Both downloads required the validation and had the attempts at selling extra bits. I also resisted the "offers", as there was nothing remotely interesting among them.

The latest e-mail also indicated that a replacement "sync" system is being developed, which is of interest as my recent copies of FTM* were all "freebees" for purchasing a highly discounted 6 month subscription (GBP17 in one case :eek: ) and specifically for updating Ancestry :rolleyes: . I much prefer FH for charting, though it needs an option for disabling automatic placement to allow manual editing of the layout.

In terms of installation, I had no problems (Windows 10 system); maybe I was lucky.

Phil

* My first version was "Banner Blue" FTM for Windows v2 on, I believe, three 3.5" 1.44MB disks (don't think they were 720kB) - I still have the manual. That was later replaced by the "Broderbund" version (their current website lists the same software as MacKiev :eek: )

4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Oh Bob what a kerfuffle and to make things worse, the poor goose flying" up" (did you mean dander?) :p you have to laugh don't you?

5. Bob Spiers

Heather I will confess, I did mean 'gander' (and yes I also knew it was a male goose) as that is the term likely carried over from childhood that sprang to mind to convey I was slowly approaching boiling point. However now you have raised the issue, and taking time out to think and consult my wife who said 'you mean 'dander' you barmpot', my dander is duly lowered and will remain so until gander again comes to mind.

Yes you do have to laugh and thank goodness we can.:)

6. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

In the words of an (unnamed) Aussie politician "please explain".o_O
    Couldn't agree more.:D

7. Bob Spiers

....the word "barmpot"
    Falling back on my 'Proper Brummie Dictionary' a 'barmpot' is shown as a silly or stupid person (usually affectionately meant...origin circa 1916). My Mom used it a lot as did my Dad when we kids did something daft! On this occasion however it was used by my wife and she is from Northamptonshire (some 60 miles south) and I think quite likely an old family used term common in middle England.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

My oldest American friends' daughter was part of the customer support team in the early 80s.

9. peter

A LostCousins member has reoprted a problem with FTM - has anyone else noticed this?

"I have just downloaded an update to FTM 2014 and have encountered at least one major problem. The media file has been copied but without contents. Some of the family tree files have a suffix one indicating a copy but not others. I have sent feedback, I cannot be alone with these problems."

10. Bob Spiers

Not sure if this helps but having been engaged recently in adding Profile photos to Ancestry a check of my updated FTM Media showed ALL the latest additions had been synced across. Strangely, a handful of older media was also shown but the remainder were just blank boxes with an item description. (telling me it knew of the item but could not locate the image).

Clicking on a blank item reported 'File not found jpg' (click to search manually). This merely presented you with a PC image search option.

To prove the point I added two new media into Ancestry and synced FTM and sure enough the new Media additions were shown.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  11. peter

It sounds like the same problem to me, but I'm only guessing. Is it possibly to do with a change of hard drive configuration, eg D: is now E:?

12. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

It was also used by my family in Manchester and later Devon, normally referring to me of course, so the word was perhaps more widespread. I seem to recall hearing it in Yorkshire as well.

As for software, I am at times truly amazed by people. I used to work for Apple the Microsoft which is why I will never use any of their products and have exclusively run Linux for 16 years. This meant there was not a lot of choice then for genealogy software, I tried three or four packages before I found Gramps , written by genealogists for genealogists, and being open source I could submit software improvements or just suggest things to the developers. 12 years after the release of version 1.0 it is still going strong and there was an update last month. One of the key decisions made at the beginning was not to limit the software to Linux so it was built from the beginning to run on Apple and MS systems as well. As well as producing reports and charts for cousins I created my web site using Gramps, and as the software is free there is no reason not to try it, there is no need to register or give ant detail and no incentives to buy anything.

13. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

As far as I can tell, everything went without a problem (for both 2014.1 updates - interim and latest). I have no "copied" files; after the current update all files I have tested are initially "converted" to (presumably) a new file internal format on loading and sync appears to work. However, I do not have media files attached - just "bare" trees with references (no links) to media. Also, I ignored the advice to make backups etc* :eek:

Phil

*I was prepared to use sync to regenerate local copies, if necessary, or even restart from scratch because of the way I use the program.

14. Bob Spiers

I see what you mean but more likely to be a combination of things in my case. To explain, I view Ancestry on one PC and view my Tribal Pages on the same (on a second monitor). I use another PC (perhaps two) to view FTM and other genealogical programs.

Although Ancestry auto saves BMD type media sourced from within Ancestry, it relies on me to add a photo. I save photos across several PC's and primarily add them into my Tribal Pages which auto saves under its own nomenclature (no matter where sourced). If I want to copy across to Ancestry, I click on the photo, choose 'save image', and give it a new name and save to the PC. This is the image copied across to Ancestry.

I think the problem centres around (so called) NEW Ancestry and the sync process with MacKiev FTM. It is mainly older images that are missing, including strangely enough those added into the Media Gallery by (OLD) Ancestry itself. Anything newly added -including auto saves by New Ancestry - will by synced across to FTM.

Make of all that what you (and others) will.

15. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

problems with all of Ancestry now, no access this afternoon, although OK a couple of hours ago

16. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I never even got the email from MacKiev that people have mentioned

17. Bob Spiers

Wow, someone who dislikes both Apple & Microsoft and has used Linux for 16 years...that surely marks you down as a Geeky individual -OK perhaps a bit of a 'barmpot' - but then who isn't?

Whilst I do not share your passion for Linux (tried and tested off and on, mainly off) nor your dislike of Microsoft (in the round at least, whilst admitting it has some dodgy corners) at least we agree on Apple although acknowledging there are plenty of people who love their Macs and 'i' thingies. You say you are amazed by people for their choice of software, but you shouldn't be as this Forum bears witness. People are different and like and dislike things for their own reasons (as do you) and goodness knows I have waxed lyrical enough times on the things I like and dislike

However on to your recommendation to try 'Gramps'. This has raised my interest so I have decided to upload it to my spare laptop (in Windows of course) and see how it fares. Not that I need another Genealogy program, but over the years have interrogated many and retained very few. I will see how Gramps fares and get back to you. I will also check out your website.

18. Bob Spiers

I think I received mine as a result of signing up for 'FT Maker NEWS' in the dim and distant past. If you haven't received same and have FTM 2014 (or FTM Mac 3) you can sign up for their mailing list at www.familytreemaker.com. They will then send you instructions and a link (good luck with that) to obtain the free upgrade. Beware if you have FTM 2012 or earlier there is a fee, albeit discounted.

19. Bob Spiers

As so often happens to me when I pronounce I can't get online to various sites, others tell me they have had no problem. So forgive me for being one such as I can report I have been using Ancestry since late morning and most of the afternoon -visiting two of my Trees - without encountering any problem. And still OK as I type this around 16.30. Don't worry my turn will come another day.

20. peter

Did you register with them? Ancestry sent out emails around 26th September saying that for data protection reasons they couldn't pass their database to MacKiev, and inviting users who were registered with them to re-register with MacKiev. This may only apply to users in Europe, by the way.