1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

MacFamilyTree 8

Discussion in 'Mac programs' started by Susan48, May 22, 2016.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Yesterday I upgraded to MacFamilyTree 8 from version 6.3.3, having skipped version 7 but in the meantime acquired a new MacBook running Yosemite. Installing it and migrating the files (I have 7 separate trees) went like a dream (phew!) and I spent much of the day playing around with the new version and getting the hang of it. Reviews were mixed but having started with MFT I decided to stick with it anyway. It's early days, with lots of functions to explore, but I can now create a dedicated Lost Cousins fact rather than putting it in 'Other Event' as I'd done previously. Changing them all is a bit of a challenge unless anyone can suggest a shortcut???

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Susan,

Make sure that this functionality isn't already available in MFT. Otherwise I would export a copy of the file in GED format. Open that in Notepad.
    Search for the the new Lost Cousins fact and understand it's format.

In Notepad there is a replace function, replace the old unique part of the fact with the new Lost Cousins fact data. Save this with a test file name, with the same extension as before.

Import this new test file into MFT. Check and see if the facts have moved, if all other data is still ok. If all good, save as a new version of your tree.

3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Thanks, Tim. It sounds a bit complicated but I'll give it a go.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

MFT8 will translate any Lost Cousins facts from a GEDcom quite happily. I have mine set up with a LC fact in a different program and it will happily appear on my MFT8 program when I upload a GEDcom.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1