1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Mac family tree program recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac programs' started by LawrenceP, Mar 4, 2018.

1. LawrenceP

LawrenceP Member

Can anyone recommend a program for use on a Mac please?

2. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

Family Tree Maker works fine on a Mac

MacFamilyTree 8 - haven't tried this on desktop but I have the app for iPad (MobileFamilyTree) which is ok & editable if a bit clunky so I don't use it much

Reunion 12 & there's compatible app for iPad & phone - never used or even seen this in a action

Hope this helps

3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I've been using MacFamilyTree for a number of years and now have version 8. It does what I want it to do (and more) although I did find version 8 took some adjusting to after version 7. The more you use it the easier it becomes to enter and manipulate the data.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I've experimented with both FTM and MacFamilyTree, both are good. FTM has the sync with Ancestry and MacFamilyTree is much nicer in regards to charts and the like.

5. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

6. LornaHen

LornaHen New Member

Although a post for quite some time ago, for completeness I'll add that RootsMagic (has both a free and pay for more advanced version) and the free FamilyTreeBuilder from MyHeritage (which can optionally be synchronized with a MyHeritage tree) both run on a Mac without having to set up a virtual windows machine.
    Both take care of the Windows side of things seamlessly for you.

Do take care however, until the expected updates are available, not to try either under the MacOS upgrade to Catalina currently available, Nov 2019.

RootsMagic has a nice interface to work with FamilySearch for research hints, and their FamilySearch tree if you are a fan of collaborative trees (yes I know that can be a contentious subject, it is a completely optional feature).
    RM also has a good hint system with Ancestry, FindMyPast and MyHeritage records which can be helpful for research.