1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

London, Floods 1099 to date and accounts of Victorian times

Discussion in 'More London Resources' started by Britjan, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

As a Londoner I've always been fascinated by the river that for many years was central to life in the city. While this information is more correctly about flooding of the entire tidal Thames it relates mainly to London. The photo shows interim measures in raising the height of the tidal walls four times between the 1870's and 1970's and of course before the Thames Barrier was built.
    In Victorian times some of my family lived on Stamford Street in Lambeth, here is one of the accounts of flooding in London in that era.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It always fascinates me that the Thames used to freeze, and they used to hold Frost Fairs on the frozen Thames.

The last Frost Fair was in 1814, so climate warming has been around along time then :)

• Agree Agree x 1