1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Llanymynech

Discussion in 'More Shropshire Resources' started by Zojo, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Zojo

Zojo LostCousins Member

Do you suspect that your ancestors may have been involved in quarrying or limeworks in the Llanymynech area of Shropshire? I am creating a database of the limemen and rockmen (one woman so far) of the area and may be able to help.
    The database also covers Pant and Crickheath

2. TimE

TimE LostCousins Star

My 2 x great grandfather Edward Onions lived in Llanyblodwell and on the 1871 census is shown as a Stone Quarry Labourer. In 1881 his profession is given as Quarryman, lime (as are his neighbours). By 1881 he is shown as a general labourer but living in Sweeney. Do you have him in your database?

3. Zojo

Zojo LostCousins Member

I have concentrated on the quarry workers on Llanymynech Hill so don't have your Edward who more likely worked at the Nant Mawr , Porth y Waen or Llynclys quarries. This last is the closest to Sweeney and is still going, run by Lafarge Tarmac. I'll make a note of his name and keep on the lookout for him (and put him on my database)

You might find some maps and photographs of interest here . If you look under 'villages' you'll find pics of Llanyblodwel.

4. Zojo

Zojo LostCousins Member

For general information about Llanymynech, the limeworks and interesting old photos go to here.

5. TimE

TimE LostCousins Star

Zojo, thanks for the links. If I get any more info about my ancestor I will let you know

6. DeeD

DeeD New Member

Hello Zojo
    I have recently joined the Forum and saw your post regarding your database. I have DITCHERs and TREVORs who were from Pant and Llanymynech, and who worked as limestone quarrymen. Do you have these names in your database? Many thanks.